Apple Griddle Scones Dripping with Butter

by Permanent Posies on April 16, 2012

Griddle Apple Scones

Welcome to The Secret Recipe Club reveal day.  Each month, I am assigned to another blogger and my instructions are to choose one of the recipes she (or he) has blogged about……and re-create it, adding my own spin to it, if I want.  This month, I was assigned to What’s Brewing in the Kitchen and I have looked at many of the recipe posts she has written.  I saw so many things that I wanted to try that I had a hard time deciding which to cook.

Amy, from Virginia, is the cook on What’s Brewing in the Kitchen and cooking is her passion (like mine).  She started her blog to have a virtual cookbook and has found herself in the company of lots of Foodies with the same goal.

So, I went with her Apple Scones. Two reasons……I have a lot of apples and I have had a hankering for a good scone. And…..oh, my, my……these were delicious scones! I think Amy got the recipe from The Apple Cookbook. I made need that cookbook.

For one thing, these scones are cooked on a griddle in butter.  Really?  So the outside is browned and a little more done than the inside.  The inside remains very moist.  Then, dot them with butter.  Yea…..more butter…..and serve with a little hot tea.  I chose Orange Spice, which went nicely with Cinnamon/Nutmeg flavored Apple Scones.

Secret Recipe Club

Here is the recipe.  You won’t be disappointed.  Thanks Amy!

APPLE SCONES

Apple Griddle Scones
Recipe Type: Bread
Author: The Apple Cookbook @ What’s Brewing in the Kitchen
  • 1 1/2 cups flour
  • 1 teaspoon baking powder
  • 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
  • 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
  • 1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
  • 1/4 cup sugar
  • 4 tablespoons butter
  • 1 egg
  • 1/4 cup Honey Flavored Greek Yogurt (or plain….or buttermilk)
  • 1 large apple (I used Fuji)
  1. Sift the flour, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon and nutmeg into a bowl. Add the sugar and mix.
  2. Cut in the butter with a pastry blender until the mixture resembles large crumbs.
  3. Add the egg and yogurt and mix well.
  4. Peel, core and finely chop the apple. Stir into the yogurt mixture.
  5. The dough will be pretty sticky.
  6. Divide the dough into 8 even pieces. On a floured surface, pat the dough into a 1/2 inch thick round or football shaped piece. Because they are so sticky, you won’t be able to roll these or do much with them. Flour your hands and the surface really well.
  7. Heat a griddle or heavy skillet over low to medium heat. Melt butter on it and cook the scones for 5 minutes, until they are golden brown on the bottom. Turn and cook for 4 minutes longer, serve warm.

Apple
Griddle cooking

Apple Scones and Tea
Make sure you go check out
What’s Brewing in the Kitchen and The Secret Recipe Club.  Also, check out all the other entries this week in the below Blog Hop.

Miz Helen April 16, 2012 at 6:47 PM

Oh my goodness!
These scones are just wonderful and I can’t wait to make the recipe. It is fun cooking with you in the SRC!

angie April 16, 2012 at 7:08 PM

WOWOWOWOWOW! These look amazing! :) YUM!

Betsy April 16, 2012 at 7:37 PM

Yum! I love this idea. Like fatty apple pancakes!
Be sure to stop by Seasonal Potluck this month. We have peas AND rhubarb link parties open! We’d love if you’d share any recipes you may have http://bit.ly/H9XJGB

Kelsey @ K&K Test Kitchen April 16, 2012 at 8:46 PM

These sound amazing! Almost like a cross between a scone and a pancake, yum!

Corina April 17, 2012 at 3:22 AM

I’ve never seen scones like this before. They remind me of fritters and the apple and cinnamon combination is a real favourite of mine.

Debbi Does Dinner Healthy April 17, 2012 at 5:55 AM

These sound great! Love the apple flavoring. They sound really easy too, thanks!

colleen @ Secrets from the Cookie Princess April 17, 2012 at 7:37 AM

These sound great and what a different way to make them. Apple and cinnamon is always a great combo

Dan April 17, 2012 at 10:28 AM

Those scones look delicious. I didn’t realize that they could be made in a pan. That’s almost not-baking, so I might try it. I thought the pan was reserved for English muffins, crumpets and Welsh cakes :-)

kristy lynn @ Gastronomical Sovereignty April 17, 2012 at 11:15 AM

apples, good. scones, good. butter, so friggin good. i’m on a health food kick right now – trying to drop the 20 pounds i’ve gained since having a long term boyfriend. haha… but come my lean day (i can have as much of and whatever i want) – these are going in my belly!!

Happy SRC reveal from a group D member!

Kirstin April 17, 2012 at 11:13 PM

WOW! THese sound and look so good

Michelle @ The Willing Cook April 21, 2012 at 11:46 AM

This recipe might be food allergy adaptable. Thanks for sharing it at Allergy-Free Wednesdays! In order to be considered for a featured favorite, you must link back within you post to one of the AFW host sites. Thanks!

~Michelle, AFW Hostess

April @ The 21st Century Housewife April 23, 2012 at 2:35 AM

Your apple griddle scones look absolutely scrumptious. I like the idea of the lovely crisp outside and the soft tender inside, and the spices sound fantastic. What a great accompaniment to a cup of hot tea!