My goal was Asparagus Lasagna with Basil Pesto Cream Sauce (oh, my, my)…..but you will have to wait for that recipe until later. Today, I thought I would share the pesto recipe and the cream sauce recipe.
|Basil Spinach Pesto Cream Sauce|
- 1 cup Fresh Flat Leaf Parsley
- 1 cup Fresh Basil
- 1 cup Fresh Spinach (chopped)
- 1 cup Pecans (pine nuts)
- 1/2 cup Parmigiano Reggiano or Pecorrino Romano or Kraft Parmesan
- 1/4 tsp Salt
- 1/8 tsp Cayenne Pepper
- 2 garlic Cloves
- 1/4 cup Oil
- 1/4 cup Melted Butter
- BASIL PESTO CREAM SAUCE
- 2 tbsp Flour
- 2 tbsp butter
- 1 cup milk
- 1 cup Cream or Half and Half
- 1/2 block (4 oz.) cream cheese
- 1 cup Pecorino Romano or Parmigiano Reggiano
- 1/8 tsp fresh grated nutmeg (if possible)
- Salt and Pepper
- 2 pinches Cayenne Pepper
- 1/4-1/2 cup Basil Spinach Pesto above(depending on your tastes)
- Toast the pecans in a skillet. In a food processor, chop your pecans and vegetables.
- Add in your oil, seasonings and butter. You can use 1/2 cup of oil and no butter, if you prefer.
- Also, most people use pine nuts but I live on a pecan orchard…..so I always use pecans in everything. Pine nuts are expensive, thought tasty……but I can’t tell that much difference.
- Store extra in the freezer.
- Now make your cream sauce by melting the butter and adding the flour to that.
- Stir until smooth and add in the milk. Stir until smooth and add in the cream. Let it thicken.
- Add the cream cheese and Parmigiano Reggiano (or Peccorino Romano). I actually splurged and used my Parmigiano Reggiano that I purchased in Parma, Italy. Yum!
- After it is a good consistency, add the seasonings and the Basil Spinach Pesto.
- Stir and serve over warm pasta.
BASIL PESTO CREAM SAUCE
2 tbsp Flour
2 tbsp butter
1 cup milk
1 cup Cream or Half and Half
1/2 block (4 oz.) cream cheese
1 cup Pecorino Romano or Parmigiano Reggiano
1/8 tsp fresh grated nutmeg (if possible)
Salt and Pepper
2 pinches Cayenne Pepper
1/4-1/2 cup Basil Spinach Pesto (depending on your tastes)
Make your cream sauce by melting the butter and adding the flour to that. Stir until smooth and add in the milk. Stir until smooth and add in the cream. Let it thicken. Add the cream cheese and Parmigiano Reggiano (or Peccorino Romano). I actually splurged and used my Parmigiano Reggiano that I purchased in Parma, Italy. Yum!
After it is a good consistency, add the seasonings and the Basil Spinach Pesto. Stir and serve over warm pasta.
I used several colorful vegetables again and sauteed some ham to go in it. Seems I must like that combo since that is what I used in the Fettuccini I made for church the other day. Check that recipe out HERE.
TUESDAY’S TASTY TIDBITS
Welcome to another week of Tuesday’s Tasty Tidbits. Thank you so much for joining our blog party and I hope you will hop around and check out all the recipes and creative craft ideas.
As always, I am guest blogging at Grocery Shop for Free. Dian and I are old friends…..going on 30 years. I get so many great ideas from her and I encourage you to go over and check out all the “free” things she has found.
Here are a few rules for the blog party. The link up button is at the bottom of the post.
1. Link up anything that you have created. It doesn’t just have to be a recipe any more. The linky is at the bottom of the page.
2. Make sure you LINK BACK to us somewhere on your post.
3. Hop around and visit at least 4 other bloggers….maybe the ones listed right before or right after you did.
4. Enjoy creating this week.