Queso Blanco with a Little Spicy Corn and Black Bean Salad

by Permanent Posies on February 13, 2012

Welcome to The Secret Recipe Club reveal day.  Each month, I am assigned to another blogger and my instructions are to choose one of the recipes she (or he) has blogged about……and re-create it, adding my own spin to it, if I want.  I was assigned to www.betsylife.com/ and I have looked at most of the recipe posts she has written.  I saw so many things that I wanted to try.

I am on vacation in the mountains with my family and friends and tonight I am making tacos (an easy, go-to, on vacation meal) which everyone likes.  I decided to make something to go along with that.   So, I went with the simplest, tasty recipe that I could find.  Queso Blanco!  Who doesn’t love that?  She also had a Spicy Corn with Black Beans and Queso Fresco.  Yum!  That would fit the fare for the evening.  Of course, I had to improvise to account for being in a vacation home without the exact ingredients.  In fact, I improvised A LOT!  Make sure you go to www.betsylife.com/ to see the original recipes….later.

Check out all the Secret Recipe Club posts at the bottom of this one and check out their website for other great recipe ideas.  Also, check out my hostess, Suzanne at Thru the Bugs on my Windshield.

QUESO BLANCO
  • 2 lb White Velveeta (original recipe called for 1 lb white American Cheese)
  • 3/4 cup jarred jalapenos, chopped (original used 1 can diced jalapenos or 2 cans chilis)
  • 1 cup FF Half and Half (original used 1/2-1 cup Heavy Cream)
  • 3/4 tsp cumin (my addition)
  • 3/4 tsp Tony Chacheres (my addition)
  1. Melt Velveeta in the microwave.
  2. Chop the jalepenos and add to the cheese.
  3. Add the Half and Half and mix it until well blended.
  4. Add spices and heat until hot.

DSC_0159
SPICY CORN WITH BLACK BEAN SALAD

2 cans black beans, drained
2 cans corn, drained (original had fresh corn that was grilled)
3 mini bell peppers, (red, yellow or orange)
2 avocados (my addition)
1 tomatoes (my addition)
1/3 bunch cilantro
1/3 large onion, chopped
2 jalapeños
1/4 tsp garlic powder
1/4 tsp cumin
1 lime, juice of
3 tbsp Balsamic Vinaigrette dressing (original had olive oil, vinegar and oregano)

Drain the black beans and rinse them.  Drain the corn and mix with the beans.
Chop all the vegetables.  Add the onions, jalepenos, balsamic vinaigrette and spices.
Add the tomatoes and avacados  Squeeze the juice of 1 lime over the avacados and mix it all together

DSC_0142

DSC_0150
Have fun hopping around checking out all the other recipes below.

Dan February 13, 2012 at 12:47 PM

That looks like a great summer salad. Thanks for sharing!

Debbi Does Dinner Healthy February 13, 2012 at 2:12 PM

On some levels, velveeta is so wrong but I know that it tastes SO GOOD. I’ve used it too. This sounds excellent!

Patsy February 13, 2012 at 3:08 PM

I really like your blog! I am a new follower. Patsy

Lisa~~ February 13, 2012 at 3:27 PM

Both delicious sounding but I need to try the corn & bean salad, saving that recipe.

If you haven’t already, I’d love for you to check out my Group ‘A’ SRC entry: Crunchy Fudgy Heart Bites

Lisa~~
Cook Lisa Cook

Betsy February 13, 2012 at 10:12 PM

Hi Susan! So glad you enjoyed my recipes! the cheese dip was a hit with The Hubs and friends on superbowl sunday as well. I’d love if you check our my new site seasonalpotluck.com February is oranges month so if you have any orange recipes, we’d love if you’d link up! http://bit.ly/zDoNfx Enjoy your vacation!

Melanna February 14, 2012 at 2:02 PM

Saw you on Tipjunkie’s link up. I haven’t made mexican in a long while. And my kids have never had queso dip. For shame! I think I’m going to have to add these to my menu plan. Thanks!

Sarah February 14, 2012 at 6:33 PM

love the sound of that salad! this definitely helps my quest for more mexican/southwest inspired dishes to make at home. hubby and i were used to living where there were soooo many great restaurant choices, and currently live where there are none (very close anyway)

ButterYum February 14, 2012 at 7:00 PM

How can you argue with the best? Love the spicey black beans too. If you haven’t had a chance, please stop by and visit my SRC post for Giant Chocolate Toffee Cookies

ButterYum