Welcome to The Secret Recipe Club reveal day. Each month, I am assigned to another blogger and my instructions are to choose one of the recipes she (or he) has blogged about……and re-create it, adding my own spin to it, if I want. I was assigned to www.betsylife.com/ and I have looked at most of the recipe posts she has written. I saw so many things that I wanted to try.
I am on vacation in the mountains with my family and friends and tonight I am making tacos (an easy, go-to, on vacation meal) which everyone likes. I decided to make something to go along with that. So, I went with the simplest, tasty recipe that I could find. Queso Blanco! Who doesn’t love that? She also had a Spicy Corn with Black Beans and Queso Fresco. Yum! That would fit the fare for the evening. Of course, I had to improvise to account for being in a vacation home without the exact ingredients. In fact, I improvised A LOT! Make sure you go to www.betsylife.com/ to see the original recipes….later.
- 2 lb White Velveeta (original recipe called for 1 lb white American Cheese)
- 3/4 cup jarred jalapenos, chopped (original used 1 can diced jalapenos or 2 cans chilis)
- 1 cup FF Half and Half (original used 1/2-1 cup Heavy Cream)
- 3/4 tsp cumin (my addition)
- 3/4 tsp Tony Chacheres (my addition)
- Melt Velveeta in the microwave.
- Chop the jalepenos and add to the cheese.
- Add the Half and Half and mix it until well blended.
- Add spices and heat until hot.
SPICY CORN WITH BLACK BEAN SALAD
2 cans black beans, drained
2 cans corn, drained (original had fresh corn that was grilled)
3 mini bell peppers, (red, yellow or orange)
2 avocados (my addition)
1 tomatoes (my addition)
1/3 bunch cilantro
1/3 large onion, chopped
1/4 tsp garlic powder
1/4 tsp cumin
1 lime, juice of
3 tbsp Balsamic Vinaigrette dressing (original had olive oil, vinegar and oregano)
Drain the black beans and rinse them. Drain the corn and mix with the beans.
Chop all the vegetables. Add the onions, jalepenos, balsamic vinaigrette and spices.
Add the tomatoes and avacados Squeeze the juice of 1 lime over the avacados and mix it all together