There is no need for a holiday to have a little Spicy Texas Trash Chex Mix, though for some reason, we only make it during the Christmas holidays. It was an annual tradition at our house and the taste of it brings me back to childhood.
I now make it gluten-free since my daughter is a Celiac. This year, I have to say, I made a delicious batch and I am still munching on it. I meant to pass it out but left for Italy the next day….and well….other things were on my mind. So, I am stuck with it….teehee. I am a littl surprised that it is still so fresh.
I really am posting this so that my kids will know how to make it themselves. It has never been written down before. The amounts were just estimated and always worked. Plus, I can’t use all the original ingredients in order to make it gluten free. So here goes.
|Spicy Gluten Free Texas Trash Chex Mix||
- 6 cups Corn Chex
- 6 cups Rice Chex
- 6 cups Gluten Free Pretzels
- 2 large cans Mixed Nuts (preferably less peanut kind)
- 1 cup homegrown pecans (optional)
- 1/3 cup Worcestershire Sauce
- 2 sticks butter
- 1/2–3/4 tbsp garlic powder
- 1–1 1/2 tbsp chile powder (depending on your taste)
- 1/2–1 tsp Cayenne Powder (depending on how spicy you want it)
- 1 tsp salt
- Melt the butter. Add the spices and Worcestershire Sauce and put it in a very large bowl or tub. Start with the lesser measure for the spices and add according to taste. Toss in the cereal, pretzels and nuts. With your hands, toss until completely coated and spread into 4 large 9×13 metal pans….or large jelly roll pans.
- Preheat oven to 300 degrees. Cook at this temp for about 45 minutes, stirring half way through. Then lower the temperature to about 275 and cook for another hour and a half. It is seems to be getting too brown but there is still a lot of butter, lower the temp, periodically stirring around and switching the pans around in the oven. When they seem to be done, leave the pans in the oven and turn it off. Let it cool off there for a couple of hours.
Also, I have been having some broken blog button problems. If you have one on your website, can you please switch it out for one from the sidebar? I think they are fixed! Woohoo!
By the way, welcome to Tuesday’s Tasty Tidbits and guest blogging with Grocery Shop for Free. I really appreciate you coming back each week and joining in on the fun. Dian is still posting my recipe each week on her blog….along with tons of free things to get out there in coupon land. So, go check it out.
I might join some of the following link parties: