Turkey Eggs and Egg Salad

by Permanent Posies on December 12, 2011

I was given the most beautiful turkey eggs the other day by some friends who have a male and female turkey.  Turkey eggs!  Who knew people ate turkey eggs?  I had no idea they tasted just like chicken eggs and they are at least half again as big, if not twice as big.  Are these beautiful or what?

So, I thought I would share my turkey egg salad with you, keeping in mind that you can substitute chicken eggs……cause it might be hard to find some of these beauties.

EGG SALAD
Recipe type: Salad
Author: Susan Root Merritt
Prep time: 15 mins
Total time: 15 mins
Serves: 5-8
  • 8 turkey eggs or 1 dozen chicken eggs
  • 2 long Kosher dill pickle strips
  • 1 tbsp Dijon mustard
  • 1 stalk of celery
  • 1/3 cup chopped onion
  • Sprinkling of salt, pepper and paprika….for your taste
  • Kraft or Hellman’s Mayonaise….enough to make it the creaminess that you like. I think I used about 1/3 cup but I never really measure it. If you want freshly made mayo, click here.
  1. Strip the seeds from the dill pickle. Chop it and the veggies in small pieces. Stir in mustard and mayo and mix until creamy. Top with salt and paprika and stir together. Top with pepper. Serve over tomatoes, toast or crackers.
WordPress Recipe Plugin and Microformatting by EasyRecipe

So, the next morning…..1 fried turkey egg on toast….with a little salsa.  Yum!  The shell is tough and you can’t just crack it.  You sort of have to pull it apart, so I broke my yoke accidentally.  But, I figured it out.  These turkeys produce 2 eggs a day.  They gave me a dozen and I was so blessed!

P1090820P1090825P1090827P1090828P1090831

By the way, welcome to Tuesday’s Tasty Tidbits and guest blogging with Grocery Shop for Free.  Dian is still posting my recipe each week on her blog….along with tons of free things to get out there in coupon land.   Go check it out.

PermanetPosies.com

If you have a blog and want to link up with a creative post…..recipe, craft or otherwise…..do so at the bottom of this one.  Make sure you link back on your blog to us and make sure your entry links straight to your recipe or craft etc.  Try to hop around and visit some of the other entries and if you are visited the most, I will feature you.

Joining a few blog parties:

Everything Under the Moon Ms. enPlace menu-mondays2Frugal AnticsThe Girl Creative MyMeatlessMondaysMouthwatering MondaysJam HandsKeeping It SimpleMaking your home sing MondaysLark's Country HeartHunk of Meat MondaysBecolorful Tip Junkie handmade projectsTempt my Tummy TuesdaysPhotobucket Mandy‘s Recipe Box Nap-Time Creations Tuesday To Do Party  Confessions of a Stay At Home Mommy I'm Topsy TurvyHearth & Soul HopWCWjpglil luna link party button Photobucket  RealFoodWednesdaysDining With Debbie   http://www.thethriftyhome.com  Passionately Artistic Grab My ButtonPhotobucketThe Stuff of Successday2day joysJenny MatlocktiltPhotobucketTasty Traditions1331 Tasty Traditions: Halloween TreatsMiz Helen’s Country CottageAround My Family TableParty ButtonThe 36th AvenueHome of Vintage Recipe ThursdayfofPhotobucketFOODIE FRIDAY Click for detailsmonogramPhotobucket PhotobucketThirty Hand Made Days

Michelle December 13, 2011 at 9:09 AM

Thanks for linking up with See Ya In the Gumbo. This is fun–using an unusual ingredient. Those shells look really thick!

And thanks for hosting. I linked some gingerbread trees I never got around to posting last Christmas.

claire December 13, 2011 at 9:41 AM

yum! i have never even heard of a turkey egg but this looks amazing!

Miz Helen December 13, 2011 at 10:04 AM

What a great idea for your Turkey eggs, the Egg Salad looks delicious. Thank you for hosting today and have a great week!

Kristy Lynn @ Gastronomical Sovereignty December 14, 2011 at 3:22 PM

i’ll be honest: things that are bigger than usual kinda freak me out – ie. turkey eggs vs chicken eggs. that being said, i adore the idea of using happy eggs – especially if someone just gives them to you.. you lucky duck! err, turkey! and look how pretty they are! i love it!

trisha December 14, 2011 at 3:53 PM

yum! Thanks for sharing something different, I enjoy that.

Shiloh December 15, 2011 at 8:22 PM

Wow, I’m know turkey’s lay eggs, but I never really thought about people eating them. That’s pretty awesome egg salad. So many good things in it.

Karen December 16, 2011 at 6:48 PM

The turkey eggs are beautiful. Egg salad and fried eggs would be a good use for them. I imagine it might take some doing to figure out the right amounts to use in place of chicken eggs for baking.

I hadn’t heard of this linking party. I’ll be back to link up!

April@The 21st Century Housewife December 17, 2011 at 10:21 AM

I’ve never had turkey eggs before but these look beautiful! Your egg salad looks delicious too. Thank you for sharing this post with the Hearth and Soul hop.

Joy @ Joy of Desserts December 18, 2011 at 1:46 AM

Those speckled eggs sure are beautiful, and two large eggs a day is great too. Glad you shared this post and linked it with Joy of Desserts. :-)

KB and Whitesnake December 18, 2011 at 6:53 PM

Yummy. Thanks for sharing with Simply Delish.

Miz Helen December 19, 2011 at 10:46 AM

Hope you are having a great week and thanks so much for sharing with Full Plate Thursday.
Come Back Soon!

Shay December 20, 2011 at 11:29 AM

Turkey eggs…We had a turkey around and didn’t realize we were eating turkey eggs. Once we took notice of how big they are…We should have known all along. Your right, they taste just like chicken! Thanks for sharing! Shay

Mindie December 20, 2011 at 11:51 AM

Looks yummy your salad. I hope you have a merry Christmas. Thanks for sharing at Bacon Time.