Scalloped Potatoes with Cheesy Bechamel Sauce

by Permanent Posies on December 5, 2011

I love the  holiday season and all the parties, dinner invitations…..decorations.  I LOVE the lighted Christmas trees.  Yes…plural.  I now have one in my reading area….in my bedroom.  I didn’t decorate it except with one string of pearls…..and, of course, lights.  It is only about 4 feet tall anyway.  I like it so much that I think I will keep it up all year.

But, I digress.

Dinner invitations….had one tonight.  My assignment….the starch…or potatoes….or mac and cheese…  No problem!  I chose cheesy scalloped potatoes and decided to make up a recipe.  I mean, is there anything really new under the sun?  So, I don’t mean to say it hasn’t been done.  I just mean to say that I didn’t follow a recipe.  But I did write it down and take photos….to share with you.  Ok….yum!

Scalloped Potatoes with Cheesy Bechamel Sauce
Recipe type: Side Dish
Author: Susan Root Merritt
Prep time: 30 mins
Cook time: 1 hour 15 mins
Total time: 1 hour 45 mins
Serves: 8-10
  • 6-7 medium potatoes
  • 2 1/2 cups milk
  • 1/2 cup whipping cream
  • 6 tbsp butter
  • 4 tbsp flour
  • 2 cups Dubliner Cheese (or any cheese that melts well)
  • 4 slices American Cheese
  • 1 cup chicken broth (I used 2 chicken bullion cubes with a cup of very hot water)
  • 1/4 tsp paprika
  • salt and pepper to taste
  • 1 tbsp oil
  • 1/4 tsp garlic powder
  • 1 cup crumbled Corn Chex (or bread crumbs)
  1. Slice the potatoes into rounds. Bring a pot of water to boil. Drop the potatoes into the boiling water and cook for about 6-8 minutes…until a little tender but not falling apart. Drain and set aside.
  2. Béchamel Sauce:
  3. In a skillet, melt four tbsp of butter. Add the flour and let bubble. Add the milk and stir until smooth, cooking to thicken. Add the cream and then both kinds of cheese. Add the cup of chicken broth and stir. Let it simmer for a couple more minutes. Add the garlic, paprika, salt and pepper.
  4. Put the potatoes in a 9×13 inch pan and dot with 2 tbsp butter. Pour the Béchamel sauce over the potatoes.
  5. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Cook the oven covered in foil for 45 minutes. Take the foil off, top with the Corn Chex crumbs, and cook for another 15 minutes to brown the top.
WordPress Recipe Plugin and Microformatting by EasyRecipe

By the way, welcome to Tuesday’s Tasty Tidbits and guest blogging with Grocery Shop for Free.  Dian is still posting my recipe each week on her blog….along with tons of free things to get out there in coupon land.   Go check it out.

PermanetPosies.com

If you have a blog and want to link up with a creative post…..recipe, craft or otherwise…..do so at the bottom of this one.  Make sure you link back on your blog to us and make sure your entry links straight to your recipe or craft etc.  Try to hop around and visit some of the other entries and if you are visited the most, I will feature you.

Also, can you join me on Google Friend Connect, “Like” me on Facebook, pin me on Pinterest, stumble upon me on Stumble Upon……Blog Frog…..Networked Blogs….teehee.  Whatever you want.

Here are some of last week’s favorites.

Peanut Butter Toffee Cheesecake Brownies (Oh, My!) by Little Mommy, Big Appetite

Spiced Carrot Cake Smoothie by Debbie Does Dinner

Lasagna Soup by What’s Cooking Love

Everything Under the Moon Ms. enPlace menu-mondays2Frugal AnticsThe Girl Creative MyMeatlessMondaysMouthwatering MondaysJam HandsKeeping It SimpleMaking your home sing MondaysLark's Country HeartHunk of Meat MondaysBecolorful Tip Junkie handmade projectsTempt my Tummy TuesdaysPhotobucket Mandy‘s Recipe Box Nap-Time Creations Tuesday To Do Party  Confessions of a Stay At Home Mommy I'm Topsy TurvyHearth & Soul HopWCWjpglil luna link party button Photobucket  RealFoodWednesdaysDining With Debbie   http://www.thethriftyhome.com  Passionately Artistic Grab My ButtonPhotobucketThe Stuff of Successday2day joysJenny MatlocktiltPhotobucketTasty Traditions1331 Tasty Traditions: Halloween TreatsMiz Helen’s Country CottageAround My Family TableParty ButtonThe 36th AvenueHome of Vintage Recipe ThursdayfofPhotobucketFOODIE FRIDAY Click for detailsmonogramPhotobucket PhotobucketThirty Hand Made Days

Little Mommy December 5, 2011 at 7:59 PM

I adore trees and lights too! We are at 3 and counting. Our 1 1/2 year old has one that I love in her room. Thanks so much for featuring my the brownies! Have a wonderful week!

Miz Helen December 5, 2011 at 9:02 PM

This is my favorite way to make Scalloped Potatoes, your recipe looks awesome. I am sharing my Grandmothers Buttermilk Pie today. Thanks for hosting and have a great week!

Alyssa December 6, 2011 at 7:18 AM

Thank you for featuring my Lasagna Soup! I love scalloped potatoes, but I’ve never made them before. Your potatoes look so good. I like the idea of topping them with Corn Chex or breadcrumbs. Thanks for hosting!!

Cheryl B. December 6, 2011 at 8:36 AM

Hi Susan! :->
How did you know I was considering making scalloped potatoes tonight? I’ve got the potatoes on hand, and baked ham left over from Sunday’s dinner…. Never made them with cheese before…. might have to see what’s in my fridge. o;-p

Thanks for the inspiration my friend!

Susieqtpies December 6, 2011 at 9:01 AM

Yummy recipe! Thanks for sharing and hosting this weekly hop! Susie :)

Elizabeth December 6, 2011 at 5:23 PM

Dubliner is my fave cheese EVER. SO GOOD!!!!! I linked up my guac recipe :)

Stephanie December 7, 2011 at 12:39 PM

Oh yum I love that Dubliner cheese! This looks delicious!!

Stephanie

Michelle December 7, 2011 at 1:23 PM

I could eat potatoes every day of my life. The cheesier and creamier the better. Your scalloped potatoes look awesome. Thanks for hosting!

jennifurla December 7, 2011 at 3:38 PM

I just love that dubliner cheese/

Ann Kroeker December 9, 2011 at 4:28 PM

That looks SO GOOD. And I forgot about Dubliner cheese. I used to buy it regularly at Trader Joe’s and then sort of fell out of the habit. But I’m heading there soon to stock up on goodies for Christmas, so I may have to grab a pack of Dubliner cheese and stir this up! Thanks for linking to Food on Fridays!

Joy @ Joy of Desserts December 9, 2011 at 7:55 PM

That’s a great cheese for scalloped potatoes. Thank you for participating in Vintage Recipe Thursday with this tasty classic.

Jaime December 10, 2011 at 12:27 AM
Miz Helen December 10, 2011 at 7:31 AM

This is the very best Scalloped Potatoes recipe! Thank you so much for sharing with Full Plate Thursday. Hope you are having a great week end and come back soon!

Christina at I Gotta Create! December 10, 2011 at 10:34 AM

Looks and sounds Yummy! Thanks SO much for sharing at the Winter Wonderland linky party over at I Gotta Create!

Danielle December 10, 2011 at 1:06 PM

so yummy! I have always linked up one of my bread recipes. Thanks so much for linking up and sharing:>

Cherish December 11, 2011 at 8:38 AM

I’ve never heard of Dubliner cheese. This looks yummy!

momstheword December 11, 2011 at 8:11 PM

I love how pretty our Christmas tree looks with it’s lights. We have a mini tree in our sunroom as well and I do mean “mini,” lol! Your recipe looks yummy, thanks for sharing and thanks for linking up to Making Your Home Sing Monday!

Lisa December 12, 2011 at 10:45 AM

I make scalloped potatoes but never before with Dubliner cheese – can’t wait to try your recipe!
I featured you on Mangia Mondays today – thank you for linking up! -Lisa

KB and Whitesnake December 12, 2011 at 6:59 PM

Love any kind of potatoes. Thanks for sharing with Simply Delish.

Nikki December 14, 2011 at 5:13 PM

Thanks for submitting the recipe for Tasty Traditions. It looks great. Come back and visit.