But, I digress.
Dinner invitations….had one tonight. My assignment….the starch…or potatoes….or mac and cheese… No problem! I chose cheesy scalloped potatoes and decided to make up a recipe. I mean, is there anything really new under the sun? So, I don’t mean to say it hasn’t been done. I just mean to say that I didn’t follow a recipe. But I did write it down and take photos….to share with you. Ok….yum!
|Scalloped Potatoes with Cheesy Bechamel Sauce|
- 6-7 medium potatoes
- 2 1/2 cups milk
- 1/2 cup whipping cream
- 6 tbsp butter
- 4 tbsp flour
- 2 cups Dubliner Cheese (or any cheese that melts well)
- 4 slices American Cheese
- 1 cup chicken broth (I used 2 chicken bullion cubes with a cup of very hot water)
- 1/4 tsp paprika
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 tbsp oil
- 1/4 tsp garlic powder
- 1 cup crumbled Corn Chex (or bread crumbs)
- Slice the potatoes into rounds. Bring a pot of water to boil. Drop the potatoes into the boiling water and cook for about 6-8 minutes…until a little tender but not falling apart. Drain and set aside.
- Béchamel Sauce:
- In a skillet, melt four tbsp of butter. Add the flour and let bubble. Add the milk and stir until smooth, cooking to thicken. Add the cream and then both kinds of cheese. Add the cup of chicken broth and stir. Let it simmer for a couple more minutes. Add the garlic, paprika, salt and pepper.
- Put the potatoes in a 9×13 inch pan and dot with 2 tbsp butter. Pour the Béchamel sauce over the potatoes.
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Cook the oven covered in foil for 45 minutes. Take the foil off, top with the Corn Chex crumbs, and cook for another 15 minutes to brown the top.
By the way, welcome to Tuesday’s Tasty Tidbits and guest blogging with Grocery Shop for Free. Dian is still posting my recipe each week on her blog….along with tons of free things to get out there in coupon land. Go check it out.
If you have a blog and want to link up with a creative post…..recipe, craft or otherwise…..do so at the bottom of this one. Make sure you link back on your blog to us and make sure your entry links straight to your recipe or craft etc. Try to hop around and visit some of the other entries and if you are visited the most, I will feature you.
Also, can you join me on Google Friend Connect, “Like” me on Facebook, pin me on Pinterest, stumble upon me on Stumble Upon……Blog Frog…..Networked Blogs….teehee. Whatever you want.
Here are some of last week’s favorites.
Peanut Butter Toffee Cheesecake Brownies (Oh, My!) by Little Mommy, Big Appetite
Spiced Carrot Cake Smoothie by Debbie Does Dinner
Lasagna Soup by What’s Cooking Love