Fun Semi-Homemade Christmas Gifts

by Permanent Posies on December 20, 2011

Nurse M & M (daughter #3 and author of 52 Mantels) and I went to Ikea the other Day to do some shopping.  What an experience!  Have you visited that store?

We started in the restaurant to eat a little Swedish fare (well…maybe not) but we could have.  Great little lunch special and Lil Punkin was with us, flirting with everyone around her.

Then we began the journey through the maze of the store.  I am not kidding.  You cannot get out once you have begun the trek through that store.  It was a little freaky, actually.  Ikea is determined that you will see ALL of their store.  NO TAKING SHORT CUTS FOR YOU!!!!  They are the store Nazis.

After awhile, we began to wonder if we were trapped in that store forever.  Then we saw it.  A map!  One short cut in the whole store and we took it.  It didn’t cut off much but, we felt like we had taken back control.  Breath!  Breath!

I think I will just shop from there online, thank you.  No, not really.  I can’t wait to go back and REALLY shop Ikea.  Wow!

But…..OH THE PRICES!  Really great.  Then, when you check out…..and baby, you have now been through every square inch of that store….and are starving because a few hours have now gone by.  Besides, you weren’t sure if you were ever getting out and hadn’t come prepared with water or anything…right there at the registers (with no sacks, by the way)…..you are assaulted by the smells of cinnamon rolls cooking, along with pizza and hot dogs.  So, you walk out of the registry stall, glad to have escaped with your life and hopefully SOME money and straight across the hall to order a cinnamon roll (of course).

But the torture wasn’t over because they had no more cinnamon rolls…..just the lingering odor.  Or was it a candle?

So, we bought these jars ($5) that have a sealing silver lid and some tea towels (79 cents).  We both had Christmas parties to attend and needed to take gifts.  My party had a $7 limit per gift.P1090871 So, I bought some chalkboard paint and painted a little strip on the front.  Then I filled them with Cinnabun Popcorn from the popcorn store, wrapped them in the tea towel and put a dollar store Christmas tree ornament on it instead of a bough.  Wrote what was inside with some chalk.

P1090876 P1090870  P1090866

The next gift I needed a large jar and a smaller one.  I filled them with nuts and some homemade Buttery Kahlua Fudge.  Click here for the recipe or scroll down to the next post.

\ P1090878

P1090882  P1090884

I may be linking up this week!!

Frugal Antics Jam HandsKeeping It SimpleMaking your home sing MondaysLark's Country HeartTuesday To Do PartyConfessions of a Stay At Home MommyI'm Topsy Turvy lil luna link party buttonPhotobucket  http://www.thethriftyhome.comPassionately ArtisticGrab My ButtonThe Stuff of Successday2day joys Jenny MatlockPhotobucketParty ButtonThe 36th Avenuetilt  monogram Thirty Hand Made DaysPhotobucket

Meg/Brassy Apple December 20, 2011 at 8:57 PM

thanks for linking up to Mom it MOnday! :)

Shiloh December 21, 2011 at 12:23 PM

Lol, I’ve never actually been to Ikea. I knew that it was all layed out, but i didn’t realize you couldn’t escape. I’m glad you made it.:)
Very cute gifts.

Anita Husevåg @ Self-sufficient the simple way December 21, 2011 at 1:15 PM

We have a monthly travel to the IKEA shop in our town now. It is mainly because we are making our home and needed some furniture etc. I have also shopped some jars to give as a christmas present to a friend, filled with cake ingredients, making it a cake in a jar.
Thanks for sharing your experience at IKEA :)

Permanent Posies December 21, 2011 at 10:30 PM

It is so far from my house that I won’t be able to go myself very often, but I really had a great time….and spent way too much money…ha.

Cyndi (Dreaming) December 22, 2011 at 9:01 AM

You are so very clever! What a fabulous idea… I’m sure the gift recipients loved your labeled jars.
I LOVE Ikea… and yes, I’m wondering if the sales associates have to do a run through the store to make sure their aren’t any lost souls at closing time, like the ski patrol doing one last run on the mountain. Hmmm, maybe they should send a St. Bernard with libation!

I stopped by from Jenny Matlock. Have a wonderful holiday!

JDaniel4's Mom December 22, 2011 at 7:12 PM

What great gift ideas! I love the chalkboard paper.

Judie December 22, 2011 at 9:34 PM

What wonderfully clever ideas! Thankfully, I am all done for this year, but there’s always NEXT year!! This is well worth remembering!!!

anita December 23, 2011 at 12:52 AM

I love the Cinnabon smell that attacks you as you walk thru the airport or mall, but have found that it doesn’t taste nearly as good as it smells. Ikea is quite an adventure – I still remember my first visit there. Loved your gift ideas. Very fun. Merry Christmas

Emille December 23, 2011 at 2:43 AM

Great yo could get in on some deals! Ikea is 5 min. away from where I live, so I buy a certain cookie regularly, their lingonberry jelly is scrumptious, and am addicted to their designs for the bedroom!

Jenny Matlock January 7, 2012 at 3:49 PM

I adore these jars! You could use this idea all year long…welcome gifts, thank you gifts, shower gifts!

I am sooooo going to bookmark this!

I know I’m incredibly late visiting, but I want you to know that I’m sending many warm wishes for a 2012 filled with creativity, joy and beauty your way!