Apple Pie with Cheese Crust

by Permanent Posies on December 12, 2011

Today is the Secret Recipe Club Reveal day.  There are over 300 bloggers that participate each month in a recipe exchange….so to speak.  We are secretly assigned to another blogger and are supposed to choose one of their recipes to cook.   Then….blog about the results.  Sounds fun, huh?

Secret Recipe Club

This month, I am assigned to Dash of East (www.dashofeast.com).  Melissa writes this blog and she lives in Atlanta, GA where she works as the Creative Director of dotdot interactive.  I not only enjoyed perusing her thoughtful and beautiful blog, but I found her creativity on dotdot interactive a work of art.

As far as her recipes, Melissa is almost a vegetarian and all of her recipes reflect this.  She was raised in a family that immigrated from Taiwan and opened a restaurant.  So, you might say that she has been in the kitchen all of her life.  Her photography is outstanding and her food looks delicious.

I chose to cook her Apple Pie with Cheddar Crust with some alterations, of course.

APPLE PIE WITH CHEESE CRUST

Filling:
5 apples (I used Fuji…original used 4 Granny Smiths)
1 lemon
5 tablespoons brown sugar (original recipe used 3)
4 teaspoons cornstarch (original—3)
1 teaspoon cinnamon
4 tablespoons of butter (my addition)

Crust:
2 Kraft roll out pie crusts
1 cup grated Monterray Jack Cheese (original—Vermont Cheddar Cheese)

Topping:
1 egg white
1 tablespoon water
1 teaspoon sugar
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon ( I accidentally left this off–poo)

Peel and slice the apples.  Toss them in the juice of one lemon.  Stir in the cornstarch, brown sugar, and cinnamon.

Roll out the first pie crust and put in a pie pan.  Sprinkle the cheese on top of the crust.  The original recipe called for you to knead the cheese into the pie crusts dough but I didn’t have time for this.  I am sure it changed the taste but it was still delicious.  I also only had Monterray Jack cheese at the time, though the original called for cheddar.  Can’t say if that changed the flavor.

Pour the apples on top of the pie crust and dot all over with the 4 tbsp of butter.  Preheat the oven to 350.

Roll out the other crust and cut it into strips.  Make a lattice on top of the apples with the second crust.  Mix together the egg white, water, sugar and cinnamon.  Brush on top of the lattice crust.

Cook covered with foil for the first 20 minutes.  Cook uncovered for 20 more minutes or until browned.

YUMMY!!!!!

amanda @ fake ginger December 12, 2011 at 8:04 AM

Love the apple and cheese combo! Can I have a piece for breakfast?

Miz Helen December 12, 2011 at 8:12 AM

I just love Apples and Cheese this is a great combination for this wonderful pie. It looks so good. It is fun cooking with you at the SRC, have a great day!

Nicole @ The Daily Dish December 12, 2011 at 8:17 AM

This looks so good! A hot slice of apple pie and coffee is one of my favorite tweets.

Nicole @ The Daily Dish December 12, 2011 at 8:18 AM

Did I seriously just write tweets? It’s one of my favorite TREATS. No clue. LOL But it really is.

Melissa | Dash of East December 12, 2011 at 9:29 AM

Oh yum! Your version of the Apple pie looks delicious, Susan! And thank you for your sweet words, *blushing* as I read your post.

Stephanie December 12, 2011 at 10:06 AM

This looks SO good. I have always wanted to try making an apple pie with cheese. I will have to try this soon!!

Stephanie

Kristen December 12, 2011 at 10:30 AM

Cheese and apples sounds so delicious. What a beautiful pie you made, too!!

Karen December 12, 2011 at 1:47 PM

What a beautiful lattice top! I grew up in New England and it was common to have a slice of cheddar cheese with apple pie – it’s my favorite still. Although I’m sure the Jack cheese was great too, I’m going to give this a try with the cheddar. Thanks!

gloria December 12, 2011 at 2:13 PM

Wow this apple pie look amazing::)))

Betsy December 12, 2011 at 7:50 PM

I recently experimented with a cheddar apple pie as well, and I must say its a winning combination. Great post!

colleen December 12, 2011 at 9:15 PM

hmmm, New England apples and Vermont cheddar cheese? sounds like a win!

Jenny @ Savour the Senses December 12, 2011 at 9:52 PM

Of course apples and cheese go so well together! Why haven’t I ever thought of this!? I need to try it. Glad to be a part of SRC with you! Check out my Shrimp & Artichoke Tapenade Crostini recipe from this month’s reveal. Happy eating!

Trisha December 12, 2011 at 9:58 PM

I love a good apple pie and the addition of cheese sounds intriguiging!!! Will have to try it out!