Stuffed Poblano Peppers with Pumpkin Chile Cream Sauce

by Permanent Posies on November 21, 2011

I had a half of a can of pumpkin leftover the other day and rather than freeze it for later, I decided to create a savory dish with it.  I also had two poblano peppers that I intended to stuff and make a lighter version of a Chile Relleno.  So, I decided to combine the two.  It was such a success that I just had to share it..and highly recommend it.

First, let me comment on the peppers.  I roasted them over an open flame gas stove burner and my griddle.  I started the browning on my griddle but it wasn’t blackening them fast enough, so I held one over the flame and let the griddle work on the other..switching back and forth with them.  I have never done this before because the skin just doesn’t bother me and it is a hassle.  But everyone else blackens the skin of the poblano and removes it, so I decided to try it.  If I were to go to the trouble again, I would do it over an outside grill with a high flame to give it an added smoky flavor.  Otherwise, I would just bake it longer and I think it would be fine.

P1090177   P1090179

Anyway, after they are blackened, put them in a paper sack for about 30 minutes and then the skin will come right off.  Well…under the faucet.  Ok…well..almost right off.

Second, while my griddle was hot, I cooked my chicken breast.  It was a huge chicken breast (6 oz).  I guess you could use leftover turkey.

Third, I slit my pepper lengthwise, keeping the stem intact and took out the seeds.

Now you are ready.  Here is the recipe.

STUFFED POBLANO PEPPERS WITH PUMPKIN CHILE CREAM SAUCE  (In the words of Tom Petty…Oh, my, my…)
2 servings and each is about 350 calories.  For less, leave off the pecans.

6 oz grilled, baked or sautéed chicken (or leftover turkey)
2 poblano peppers
4 oz fat free cream cheese
1/4 cup chopped pecans (optional)

Sauce:

1/2 med onion, chopped
1 tsp olive oil
1/2 can pumpkin
1/4 cup Red Chile Sauce ( I used the one I bought in Santa Fe but for a good recipe go here)
1 cup chicken broth (I used 2 boullion cubes in a cup of water)
2 garlic pods
2 tbsp sour cream ( or more for a creamier sauce)

Soften the cream cheese and mix it with the pecans.  After you follow the directions above to remove the skin and seeds of the peppers, stuff half the cream cheese mixture inside each of the peppers.  Place 3 oz of chicken on top of the cream cheese mixture in each pepper.  I put my peppers in a loaf pan(my very seasoned Pampered Chef one) so that when I added the sauce, the peppers were covered with it.

For the sauce, sauté the onions in the olive oil until they are tender.  Add the pumpkin, chicken broth and red chili sauce to the onions and mix until smooth.  Press in the garlic pods.  If you don’t have a garlic press, just mince it…or just used bought minced garlic.

Let the sauce simmer until it thickens…maybe 15 minutes.  Add the sour cream and remove it from the burner.  Pour over the stuffed peppers.

Bake in the oven at 350 degrees for 40 minutes.  This makes enough sauce to cover both the pepper and a side of rice or mashed potatoes.  You will want to eat every last drop of it.

Welcome to Tuesday’s Tasty Tidbits and guest blogging with Grocery Shop for Free.  Dian, over at Grocery Shop for Free, is still hosting my recipes each week.  Make sure you go check out her website for freebies and great deals.

PermanetPosies.com

Now for the rules of Tuesdays Tasty Tidbits.

1.  Please link back to us in your post entry.
2.  Please link up with anything creative..informative…tasty…whatever.
3.  Please try to visit other bloggers in the party.  At least, visit the one before you and the one after you.  Try to leave them comments, if you have time.
4.  Please “Like” us on Facebook and join us on Google Friend Connect…OK….well…it is not mandatory..haha.

Here are some popular entries from last week:

First…a late entry but one worth visiting..

Blackberry-Apple Pie by Home Cooking

A Flop by My Sweet and Savory (Doesn’t look like a flop to me.)

Hog Maw by Tools for Kitchen

Pennsylvania Dutch Hog Maw Recipe (Stuffed Pig Stomach)

Baked Buttermilk Doughnuts by Melissa’s Cuisine

Ms. enPlace The Girl CreativeFrugal AnticsMyMeatlessMondaysMouthwatering MondaysJam HandsKeeping It SimpleMaking your home sing MondaysLark's Country HeartHunk of Meat MondaysBecolorful   Tip Junkie handmade projectsTempt my Tummy TuesdaysPhotobucket Mandy‘s Recipe Box Nap-Time Creations  Tuesday To Do Party  Confessions of a Stay At Home Mommy I'm Topsy Turvy Hearth & Soul Hop WCWjpglil luna link party button Photobucket  RealFoodWednesdaysDining With Debbie   http://www.thethriftyhome.com  Passionately Artistic Grab My ButtonPhotobucketThe Stuff of Success day2day joysJenny MatlocktiltPhotobucketTasty Traditions1331 Tasty Traditions: Halloween TreatsMiz Helen’s Country CottageAround My Family TableParty ButtonThe 36th AvenueHome of Vintage Recipe ThursdayfofPhotobucketFOODIE FRIDAY Click for detailsmonogramPhotobucket PhotobucketThirty Hand Made Days

Here is the printable version:

Stuffed Poblano Peppers with Pumpkin Chile Cream Sauce
Recipe type: Entree
Author: Susan Root Merritt (PermanentPosies.com)
Prep time: 45 mins
Cook time: 40 mins
Total time: 1 hour 25 mins
Serves: 2
This was a little time consuming but worth it. Each pepper is about 350 calories.
  • 6 oz grilled, baked or sautéed chicken (or leftover turkey)
  • Sprinkling of garlic powder and any Southwestern seasoning or Cajun seasoning for the chicken
  • 2 poblano peppers
  • 4 oz fat free cream cheese
  • 1/4 cup chopped pecans (optional)
  • Sauce:
  • 1/2 med onion, chopped
  • 1 tsp olive oil
  • 1/2 can pumpkin
  • 1/4 cup Red Chile Sauce
  • 1 cup chicken broth (I used 2 boullion cubes in a cup of water)
  • 2 garlic pods
  • 2 tbsp sour cream ( or more for a creamier sauce)
  1. Blacken the peppers over an open flame or under the broiler. Place them in a paper sack afterwards for about 30 minutes.
  2. Remove the skin by scraping off the loosened, blackened skin, running under the water for assistance.
  3. Soften the cream cheese and mix it with the pecans. After you follow the directions above to remove the skin and seeds of the peppers, stuff half the cream cheese mixture inside each of the peppers. Place 3 oz of chicken on top of the cream cheese mixture in each pepper. I put my peppers in a loaf pan, so that when I added the sauce, the peppers were covered with it.
  4. For the sauce, sauté the onions in the olive oil until they are tender. Add the pumpkin, chicken broth and red chili sauce to the onions and mix until smooth. Press in the garlic pods. If you don’t have a garlic press, just mince it…or just use bought minced garlic.
  5. Let the sauce simmer until it thickens…maybe 10-15 minutes. Add the sour cream and remove it from the burner.
  6. Pour over the stuffed peppers.
  7. Bake in the oven at 350 degrees for 40 minutes. This makes enough sauce to cover both the pepper and a side of rice or mashed potatoes.
  8. You will want to eat every last drop of it.
WordPress Recipe Plugin and Microformatting by EasyRecipe

Miz Helen November 22, 2011 at 7:26 AM

Your Stuffed Poblano’s look delicious, what a great idea. Thanks for hosting today and my very best wishes to you and your family for a blessed Thanksgiving!

Susan Osborne November 22, 2011 at 7:43 AM

This Polano recipe looks amazing. I may have it attempt it (never made anything with Polano’s before!)…thank you. Happy Thanksgiving!

Michelle November 22, 2011 at 9:07 AM

Oh my wow! This is beautiful. How did yo know I have a weakness for roasted & stuffed peppers?! Thanks for linking with See Ya In the Gumbo–I’m happy to be introduced to this dish!

And thank you for hosting.

Patty November 22, 2011 at 9:20 AM

Thanks for hosting! I’ve added the Chicken Parmesan Bake.

Claudia November 22, 2011 at 3:57 PM

These stuffed peppers do sound fabulous. I usually don’t fuss with the blackening business, but it does make them more tender.

jim November 22, 2011 at 6:43 PM

Do you have any ideas on making a vegetarian version of this. I have the pobalanos and the pumpkin. just wondering…

Amy November 22, 2011 at 8:23 PM

This looks really good! I like pretty much anything pumpkin, so I’d definitely be game to try this out.

Kate November 23, 2011 at 2:00 PM

Those chiles look fantastic! Happy Thanksgiving!

KB November 25, 2011 at 10:11 PM

Those peppers look great. I don’t have a recipe to share this week. Thanks for sharing this with Simply Delish.

Miz Helen November 26, 2011 at 4:55 PM

Hope you are having a great holiday week end. Thank you so much for sharing with Full Plate Thursday and hope you will come back soon!

Erin @ EKat's Kitchen November 26, 2011 at 6:29 PM

These look awesome! I just love stuffed peppers and I love the pumpkin chile sauce twist you’ve added! Thanks so much for linking these up to Friday Potluck this week! Adding these to my list to try :)

Kathy November 26, 2011 at 8:44 PM

Your blog is chock full of great recipes! I have enjoyed my visit!
I hope you have a great weekend,
Kathy

Swathi November 26, 2011 at 11:04 PM

Delicious stuffed poblano peppers I love them, on the top of it pumpkin chili cream sauce sounds perfect. Thanks for sharing with Hearth and soul blog hop.

BeColorful November 27, 2011 at 4:31 PM

sounds wonderful. I am a kitchen fail and I must admit I was a bit lost at the beginning because of my lack of knowledge when it comes to cooking but it really does sound good and with your great directions I may have to give it a whirl. Thanks for linking this up to Motivated Monday at BeColorful.
Pam

Houston Texas public adjusting November 28, 2013 at 7:18 AM

Hi there this is somewhat of off topic but I was wondering if blogs use WYSIWYG editors or if you have to manually code
with HTML. I’m starting a blog soon but have no coding experience so I wanted to get advice from
someone with experience. Any help would be enormously appreciated!

Texas public adjuster January 3, 2014 at 7:51 PM

I really like what you guys are up too. Such clever work and exposure!
Keep up the great works guys I’ve added you guys to my
personal blogroll.

insurance public adjusting January 5, 2014 at 4:14 PM

Heya i am for the first time here. I found this board
and I find It truly useful & it helped me out much.
I hope to give something back and aid others like you aided me.

public adjusting Houston Texas January 19, 2014 at 1:01 AM

Fantastic beat ! I would like to apprentice while you amend your
website, how can i subscribe for a blog web site?
The account helped me a acceptable deal. I had been tiny bit acquainted of this your broadcast
offered bright clear idea

public adjusting January 20, 2014 at 1:43 PM

I visited several websites except the audio quality for audio songs current at this web page is truly excellent.

Texas public adjuster January 25, 2014 at 7:19 PM

Hello! I’ve been reading your web site for a long time now and finally got the bravery to go ahead and give you a shout out from Lubbock Tx!
Just wanted to tell you keep up the good work!

Houston Texas public adjusting January 26, 2014 at 3:20 PM

I’m not sure why but this weblog is loading incredibly slow for me.
Is anyone else having this problem or is it a problem on my end?

I’ll check back later on and see if the problem still exists.

Javier January 28, 2014 at 5:16 AM

Your style is very unique in comparison to other people I have read
stuff from. Thanks for posting when you’ve got the opportunity, Guess I
will just book mark this web site.

insurance public adjusting February 3, 2014 at 11:43 PM

A fascinating discussion is worth comment. I do think that you should write more on this topic, it may not
be a taboo matter but generally people do not talk about these subjects.
To the next! Many thanks!!

Texas public adjuster February 25, 2014 at 10:29 AM

Hola! I’ve been following your website for a while
now and finally got the bravery to go ahead and give you a shout out from Atascocita Texas!
Just wanted to tell you keep up the great work!

Claire March 5, 2014 at 2:17 AM

I am sure this article has touched all the internet visitors, its
really really good paragraph on building up new website.

amzn.To May 23, 2014 at 3:52 PM

So the FDA’s reaction is understandable — but misguided.
Does technology improve care more than good nutrition and lifestyle?
She specializes in leadership, motivation, and how they operate.
Calories from Fat” is something you and all of us. Only about 5% of the population lucky maeng da kratom has certain cases of gum illness.