Best Chicken and Dumplings Ever

by Permanent Posies on November 14, 2011

My husband REALLY wanted Chicken and Dumplings the other night.  I was looking for my dumpling recipe (not), when he offered to go to the store and buy some canned biscuits….Grands, to be exact.  I said….well…..of course I have never used canned biscuits before……me….an all scratch kind of gal (teehee).  But, if I were to use canned biscuits…..I would just go with the cheap ones.  I mean what else would those cheap canned biscuits be for, right?  But, he insisted on the “name brand” Grands Homestyle Canned Biscuits.  Ok…you have forced me into it.

Well, who knew?  Grands make the absolutely perfect dumpling.  They are so much better than the small cheap ones.  Well, of course, I don’t know that from experience….since I am a from scratch kind of gal…haha.  But seriously, they are better than mine from scratch and the bought frozen kind and the Bisquick kind.  I have tried them all.

These are not on my diet.  Ok….so these aren’t on anyone’s diet…..but, if you have a mind to really go off the deep end….my husband would say…..this is your huckleberry in Chicken and Dumplings.  I am not kidding.  Thus, the 2 pound weight gain this week.  Whatevs!

BEST CHICKEN AND DUMPLINGS EVER

1 can Grands Homestyle canned biscuits (must be Grands and not an off brand)
1/2 rotisserie chicken
water—–about 2-3 quarts—depending on how far you need to stretch it
3 stalks of celery
1/3 chopped onion
3 tbsp butter
1/2 cup milk
1/4 cup FF Half and Half (or go for the real thing)
3 tbsp flour
Salt and Pepper to taste

Boil the half of chicken until the meat just falls off the bones.  Remove bones and pick off all the meat, chopping into bite size pieces and put back into broth.  If you want a clean broth, strain it but I don’t think it is necessary.  In a skillet, sauté the onions and celery in 2 of the tbsp of butter.  In a jar, mix 1/2 cup milk and 3 tbsp flour.  Put on the lid and shake it up to blend.  Add both the sautéed veggies and the flour milk to the chicken broth.  Add the cream and last tbsp of butter.  Bring the soup to a boil with the lid off and boil for a few minute to blend the flavors before adding the dumplings.

Take out the biscuits and cut them into fourths.  Now comes the key to chicken and dumplings.  Make sure the soup is boiling when you add the dumplings to it.  Bring it back to boiling after you dump them in and cook for about 10 minutes.  That is it.  Easy!

Welcome to Tuesday’s Tasty Tidbits and guest blogging with Grocery Shopping For Free.  Every week, Dian over at Grocery Shop for Free, posts this same recipe on her site.  She works really hard to find and post all the freebies out there along with great coupon offers.  Make sure you hop on over and check it out.  She is the Queen of Freebies!!!!!

PermanetPosies.com

Meanwhile, over here at this blog party, here are a few rules.
1.  Please give us some love and follow on Google Friend Connect and Facebook (just a request)
2.  Please link back to us on your site and link directly to your entry post and not your home page.
3.  Please feel free to link up with anything creative….recipe, tablescapes, food info, cookbook reviews, crafts, sewing projects etc.
4.  Please hop around and check out some of the other recipes.  Try to read the two before your entry and the two after…..at least. (again, a request but not mandatory)

So now for some features……These had the most visits from last week.  Congrats, blogging buddies!

Pumpkin Cinnamon Roll Sheet Cake by Faith and Family

Thanksgiving Tablescape by 52 Mantels

Orange Breakfast Rolls with Cream Cheese Glaze by Around My Family Table

Link parties I may be attending this week:

Ms. enPlace Frugal Anticsmenu-mondaysMyMeatlessMondaysMouthwatering MondaysJam HandsKeeping It SimpleMaking your home sing MondaysLark's Country HeartHunk of Meat MondaysBecolorful   Tip Junkie handmade projectsTempt my Tummy TuesdaysPhotobucket Mandy‘s Recipe Box Nap-Time Creations  Tuesday To Do Party  Confessions of a Stay At Home Mommy I'm Topsy Turvy Hearth & Soul Hop WCWjpglil luna link party button Photobucket  RealFoodWednesdaysDining With Debbie  <br />
http://www.thethriftyhome.com  Passionately Artistic Grab My ButtonPhotobucketThe Stuff of Success day2day joysJenny MatlocktiltPhotobucketTasty Traditions1331 Tasty Traditions: Halloween TreatsMiz Helen’s Country CottageAround My Family TableParty ButtonThe 36th AvenueHome of Vintage Recipe ThursdayfofPhotobucketFOODIE FRIDAY Click for detailsmonogramPhotobucket PhotobucketThirty Hand Made Days

Jill November 15, 2011 at 5:26 AM

Hi,

I shared my amazing GF Cocoa Butter Layer Cake with
a how to video. I also shared an interview with Stanley Fishman about his great
new book, Tender Grassfed Barbecue. Also an article about the disturbing
Runaway GM Canola Plants found on the side of roads. Thanks for hosting!

Little Mommy November 15, 2011 at 6:49 AM

Chicken and dumplings were one of my faves…. until they made mill ill while pregnant.  I must say, yours look amazing and make me want to eat them again :D  Thanks for sharing!  And thanks for hosting – have a great week!

Anonymous November 15, 2011 at 7:45 AM

I understand that. I got sick on enchiladas when I was pregnant and didn’t eat them again for 10 years…ha.

Michelle November 15, 2011 at 10:13 AM

Thanks for linking with See Ya In the Gumbo!  Happy to have you.  My mom made chicken and dumplings for my dad often (his favorite).  I’ve never been very good at it, though.  Liking the idea of using a rotisserie chicken.
If I can get my act together this week, I’ll be back to link up.

Walnut Acre November 15, 2011 at 7:59 PM

The chicken and dumplings look scrumptious!!!

Judy November 15, 2011 at 8:32 PM

Perfect for fall! Sounds yummy!

Katherine Hagan November 16, 2011 at 9:59 AM

Oh yum….great southern comfort food!  I’ve never made chicken and dumplings, but now I want to try!

Cuisinart Elite Food Processor November 16, 2011 at 1:12 PM

Hi, Susan.  I shared a candied
sweet potatoes recipe
today.  Thank you for hosting us again and have a
great week!

Jill Keogh Craft November 16, 2011 at 7:35 PM

I make mine in the crock pot with frozen chicken and cream of chicken soup.  I put the bisquits in 30 min before serving.

Jill Keogh Craft November 16, 2011 at 7:35 PM

Anonymous November 17, 2011 at 9:55 AM

That sounds yummy too and so easy!

Sue November 17, 2011 at 11:39 AM

Do you think I could use Pillsbury? We don’t have Grands here.

“/

Jdaniel4smom November 17, 2011 at 11:57 AM

The chicken and dumpling look amazing. I rely on Grands! I can’t make biscuits!

Cyndi (Dreaming) November 17, 2011 at 12:44 PM

Mmmmm – sounds delicious! I fail at making biscuits from scratch – so I do buy the canned brands… often the store brand. Maybe I’ll have to try the ‘real’ deal!

Anita November 17, 2011 at 4:35 PM

That looks delish for a chilly day like today!!

Pondside November 18, 2011 at 9:45 AM

I’m glad that I read this post on a Friday and not on a Saturday, or I’d be up two sizes of jeans! There’s something just so comforting about chicken and dumplings, and this looks just too easy!

Judie November 18, 2011 at 10:23 AM

My granddaughters always called that chicken “the GOOD chicken!” This is a great recipe and I can put it to good use!!

Karen S. November 18, 2011 at 3:04 PM

Oh no! I have meatballs on my menu tonight…little ones coming for dinner and mashed potatoes…but oh this sounds really yummy……!

upinthecosmos November 18, 2011 at 3:47 PM

OMG that looks so easy and good! Especially now that it’s colder out & I’m craving warm, home cooked, soupy type meals:-)

Ann Kroeker November 18, 2011 at 7:35 PM

Sounds fattening, but really, really good (as many fattening things are!). Thanks for linking your chicken-n-dumplings to Food on Fridays!

KB and Whitesnake November 19, 2011 at 12:26 AM

Yum!
Thanks for sharing with Simply Delish. I’ll be back later to link up.

Miz Helen November 19, 2011 at 6:37 AM

Great Chicken and Dumplings! My very best wishes to you and your family for a blessed Thanksgiving. Thanks for sharing with Full Plate Thursday and hope to see you again real soon!

AllieMakes November 19, 2011 at 7:33 PM

oh I am absolutely making this for dinner tomorrow!! Thank you for sharing this!! So I have one question: You say Rotisserie chicken. Do you get the cooked one and then boil it? or do you mean a raw chicken fryer?
Thanks for linking up to Making It With Allie this week! I can’t wait to see what you have for next week!
AllieMakes.Blogspot.com

Permanent Posies November 19, 2011 at 9:30 PM

I either buy or roast a chicken almost weekly. At Costco, they are only $4.99 already roasted, so I always buy one there when I get to town. We eat the first half fresh and then I find something (often soup) with the other half. So I used it for the Chicken and Dumplings. Glad you liked it.

April @ The 21st Century Housewife November 20, 2011 at 9:40 AM

Chicken and dumplings are such great comfort food, and your recipe sounds wonderful. Thank you for sharing it with the Hearth and Soul hop.

BeColorful November 20, 2011 at 9:51 PM

Can’t wait to try this and wanted you to know I featured it tonight on this week’s Motivated Monday at BeColorful
Pam

Jenny Matlock November 28, 2011 at 4:50 AM

Hmmm…I think I have everything in the house to make these for dinner tonight!

Except the Grands. But I do have a coupon for those – woo hoo!

I’ve always made these from scratch so this will be an easy treat for dinner tonight!

Thanks for sharing your culinary prowess with us for the letter “C”.

A+

Jenny Matlock November 28, 2011 at 5:12 PM

Hooray, I’m making this. I picked up the Grands! I’m excited!

Courtney @ {not so homemade} November 30, 2011 at 10:22 AM

Just wanted to let you know your recipe was featured on this week’s What’s Cooking Wednesday!

I hope you’ll stop by and link up more great recipes :)

And growing up, we always used biscuits for our chicken and dumplings… yummy!

Trish@MomOnTimeout November 30, 2011 at 12:56 PM

Hi there! Just wanted to let you know that you are being featured this week at Taking A Timeout Thursday. Thanks for sharing!

Wendy December 3, 2011 at 7:19 PM

I love chicken and dumplings (rolled dumplings), but I like them thinner. I’m wondering if, since grands and other biscuit doughs like them are layered, I could separate them into their layers before putting them in the broth. I’ll bet I can since I’ve used flour tortillas in the past the same way. I’m going to have to try it.