We have been in a month long whirlwind of activity. My son and daughter-in-law are heading for a new duty station in Vicenza, Italy and the family has been gathering….laughing….playing….eating….teasing….absorbing each other’s presence…..making as many memories as possible…..snapping photos….and most importantly, loving each other with our whole hearts. There has been no tension, other than the knowledge that they will be gone for a few years….the sadness….and the excitement that will bring. We all want to travel abroad and visit them but we have to fit it into Army Ranger’s training in Germany and before his deployment to Afghanistan.
Today I am sad. I have done this before and I can do it again. I just know how hard it is, even though I will cling to God and He will calm all my fears. But, when your children are so far away for so long, there is an aching and a longing for us mommas. I can just rejoice that it won’t be forever.
Enough of that! I decided to share a recipe that my son cooked while he was here. I named it Captain’s Pecorino Romano Chicken. This recipe is made with Pecorino Romano cheese, which is made from sheep’s milk and most of it comes from Sardinia, Italy. My son also used slices of Mozzerella, rather than grated. Nice touch! Since Army Ranger is headed to Italy, I thought this was an appropriate post.
My chicken dish is for TUESDAY’S TASTY TIDBITS and GROCERY SHOP FOR FREE. I am still guest blogging over there, so go check out some great deals. Please join us by sharing your recipe in the recipe link-up at the bottom of this post. Make sure you LINK BACK somewhere on your blog. You can link any post about food, not just recipes, but make sure you link back directly to that post.
Even Captains in the army say, “Mooooom! Don’t take my picture.” Had to include that photo…haha.
Serve it with a beautiful salad that has some of the Pecorino Romano cheese, marinated artichokes and a little fresh mozzerella…..and Asiago Caesar dressing….Yum!
|CAPTAIN’S PECORINO ROMANO CHICKEN||
- 4 large chicken breasts, pounded a little flatter for even cooking
- 2 eggs or 1/2 cup Eggbeaters
- 1/2 cup buttermilk
- 1.5-2 cups of bread crumbs (GF version, use crushed Corn Chex)
- 1/2 tsp thyme (dried)
- 1 tsp basil (dried)
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 cup Pecorino Romano (or Parmesan)….the kind that comes in a big chunk
- 1 cup mozzerella….or 1-2 slices per piece of chicken (so 1/4 cup per piece)
- Marinara sauce—maybe 2 tbsp on each piece of chicken plus some for the pasta (I used Classic brand)
- Pound out the chicken a little. It doesn’t need to be really thin, just an even thickness. Mix the eggs and/or Eggbeaters with the buttermilk and place the chicken in it.
- In another bowl, mix the bread crumbs and the spices. I bought plain bread crumbs.
- After putting the chicken in the eggs, dredge it through the bread crumbs.
- Place in a pan and bake at 350 for about 30-40 minutes, depending on the size and thickness of your chicken. These were giant so we cooked them for 40 minutes.
- When you only lack about 10 minutes of cooking, take the chicken out, spoon some marinara on top. Top it with the mozzerella and romano cheese.
- If you don’t have a big hunk of mozzerella cheese and you don’t have Pecorino Romano cheese, just use plain grated mozzerella and grated Parmesan. Sometimes you just have to punt, right? But if you shop at Costco, they sell the Romano cheese in a big hunk….and I use it on everything. Yum!
- Cook some pasta on the side and after it is cooked, add a few tbsp of butter, while it is still hot. Serve it with the chicken and top with a few tbsp of marinara.
Here are some blogs I may be joining this week:
Feed Me Tweet Me Follow Me Home , My Meatless Mondays ;Mouthwatering Mondays ; Homemaker Mondays ; Midnight Maniac Meatless ; Monday Mania ; Melt in Your Mouth Mondays ; Made By You Mondays ; Made With Love Mondays ; Happy Homemaker Mondays ;
Make a Food-e Friend Monday ; Menu Mondays ; Mangia Mondays; July Link Party at Jam Hands; Motivate Me Mondays; Two Maids a Baking; Made It Monday; Making Your Home Sing Monday; Making Monday Marvelous Day; Making the World Cuter Monday; Amaze Me Mondays; Muffin Monday; Motivated Mondays ; Homestead Barn Hop ; Make Your Own Mondays ; A Marvelous Monday ; Savvy Homemade Monday
Tuesday Night Supper Club; Tasty Tuesdays; Tempt My Tummy Tuesday ; Tuesdays At the Table; Made From Scratch Tuesday; What’s On Your Plate?; Delectable Tuesday ; Dr. Laura’s Tasty Tuesday; Totally Tasty Tuesday; Naptime Creations Tasty Tuesday Link Party; Show Me What You Got ; Tip Me Tuesday at Tip Junkie ; Tuesday To Do List; Tuesday Time Out Inspiration Party; Lil Luna Linky Party; Anti-Procrastination Tuesday; Tea Party Tuesday; Tuesday Confessional; Topsy Turvy Tuesday; Recipe Roundup: Gluten Free on a Budget ; Tuesday Talent Show at Chef in Training ; Tutorial Tuesday ; Tuesday Time Out ; Domestically Divine Tuesday ; Take a Look Tuesday ; Terrific Under $10 Tuesdays ;
What’s Cooking Wednesday; Recipes I Can’t Wait To Try; What’s Cooking Wednesday; What’s For Dinner?; Works For Me Wednesday; Real Food Wednesday; Whatever Goes Wednesday; What’s On the Menu Wednesday; We Did It Wednesday; Penny Pinching Party; Friendly Wednesday; Passionately Artistic; Show Off Your Stuff; What I Whipped up Wednesday; Cast Party Wednesday; This Chick Cooks; Your Whims Wednesday; Show and Tell Linking Party Wednesday; Wow Me Wednesdays; Wild Wednesday Hop; Show and Share; Wow Me Wednesday; Sweet Tempatations; ; Success U-Wednesday Link-up ; The Mommy Club ; Create and Share ; Workshop Wednesday ; Healthy 2Day Wednesdays
Recipe Swap Thursday;Creative Juice Thursday; Tasty Traditions; Full Plate Thursday; Cooking Thursday; Turning the Table Thursday; It’s A Keeper Thursday; What’s Cooking Thursday; Making It with Allie Thursdays; Frugal Follies Thursday; Simple Lives Thursday; Bake with Bizzy; Delightfully Inspiring Thursday Link Party; Share Your Awesomeness Thursdays; It’s a Blog Party; Vintage Recipe Thursday ; Haute Stuff Thursday
Friday Potluck ;Family Friendly Fridays ;Simply Sweet Home Friday’s Favorites ;Food on Fridays ;Foodie Friday ;Food Trip Friday ;Fat Camp Friday ; Grocery Cart Challenge Recipe Swap ;Creation Corner, Friday’s Link Party ;Feature Yourself Friday ;Sweets This Week Friday ;Simply Delish ;Presto Pasta Night ;It’s a Hodgepodge Friday ; Pity Party