Secret Recipe Club—Overnight Peanut Butter-Banana Oatmeal

by Permanent Posies on August 22, 2011

Secret Recipe Club

This is my first month to participate in The Secret Recipe Club.  I was assigned a blog to peruse and choose a recipe from, cook the recipe myself with my own flair and post it.  Simple!  My secret blogger is Get Healthy with Heather.  She is WAY healthier than me, that is for sure.  I enjoyed checking out several of her posts like “Homemade Food for Your Doggie”, “Super Eggs”, and “Pineapple Meatballs”.   Ok….well Homemade Food for Your Doggie……is for your doggie but…..I have two doggies living at my house.

My husband and I love oatmeal for breakfast but in the summer, I don’t always want a hot cereal.  So, when I found Heather’s recipe on Peanut Butter-Banana Overnight Oatmeal, I decided I had to try it.  She eats it cold and adds trail mix, nuts, more peanut butter, various dried fruits….or whatever.  She also uses more milk to make it more like a smoothie.  It looked a little bit risky and I knew that I might not like the texture but I knew the flavors would be a hit.  Who knew…..but lots of people make Overnight Oatmeal?  Where have I been?

OVERNIGHT PEANUT BUTTER-BANANA OATMEAL

1 banana
1 tbsp peanut butter
1/3 cup Bob’s Red Mill Oatmeal (gluten free)
1 1/4 cup milk
1 tsp cinnamon
dash of salt
1 tsp flax seed
1/3 scoop Shaklee Protein Powder

Smash together banana and peanut butter.  Add rest of the ingredients and put in Tupperware overnight.  In the morning, the oatmeal “smoothie” is ready.  For a smoother texture, put it in the blender.  I guess the banana and cinnamon made it sweet because it was such a treat.   I added blueberries for some healthy goodness.

I didn’t mind the texture at all and thought that it would make a great breakfast for someone that had to get to work early.  Just stick it in the refrigerator the night before and drink it on the way to work.  I am not sure that it is the most appetizing looking drink but, it is well worth the try.  In fact, I think I will make some more for tomorrow.

Thanks, Heather and Happy Secret Blogging!

Julie Mogler August 22, 2011 at 1:22 PM

HI!  Visiting from SRC.  Love overnight oatmeal.  Perfect for weekday breakfasts!

Barefeet In The Kitchen August 22, 2011 at 1:53 PM

You’re right, overnight oatmeal never looks very pretty, but sometimes the right combination can taste great. Now if I could just convince my husband and kids of that. They still prefer theirs cooked. ;)

Daniel Saraga August 22, 2011 at 1:55 PM

That looks excellent.

I used to drink my oatmeal on my way to school when I was a teenager. Of course, mine was gross. I used to pour a package of instant maple and brown sugar oatmeal into my coffee (a large travel mug). It did the job.

Kristi August 22, 2011 at 3:53 PM

That looks fantastic and (bonus) so simple!

Kristi August 22, 2011 at 3:55 PM

Gross, yet somehow awesomely innovative! :)

amanda August 22, 2011 at 9:46 PM

I loooove overnight oats! Yours look really yummy.

peachkins August 23, 2011 at 1:38 AM

love the oatmeal flavor!

Tina August 23, 2011 at 1:51 AM

I would of never tried something like this, but way to go for stepping out and trying something NEW and so glad you liked it too! AWESOME and Healthy!

Thanks again for being a part of SRC and being a part of my first group, I enjoyed being your host! Now, I get to visit everyone’s blog, THIS IS THE FUN PART!
If you haven’t already, come check out my Secret Recipe Club Post: Cucumber Salad http://momscrazycooking.blogspot.com/2011/08/cucumber-salad-secret-recipe-club.html
or my second post for the SRC Raspberry and Nutella Pizzahttp://momscrazycooking.blogspot.com/2011/08/raspberry-nutella-pizza-secret-recipe.html

ethan August 23, 2011 at 11:43 AM

this looks awesome. i do this with yogurt a lot – flavor yogurt, add some fruit and sweetener, let it meld overnight, and then add some crushed grahams or cereal in the morning. so i like making breakfasts overnight and this looks awesomeand has peanut butter which is my love,andi can’t wait to make it. i will probably add less milk though, to keep it thicker…

Vivian thiele August 25, 2011 at 8:47 PM

I would never think of trying something like this… now I may have to give it a go! Thanks for stopping by my blog and seeing my SRC page!

Amy Miknis August 27, 2011 at 3:32 AM

Looks great!  SCR is turning out to be lots of fun — so many new recipes to try!

Anonymous August 30, 2011 at 12:01 AM

Stopping by from SRC Group C!

This sounds delicious … and I think it may actually be easy enough to get me to eat breakfast in the morning … I just never take this time to make it, but this takes really no time at all! Thanks!