Nothing Like Getting Rid of Needless Knick Knacks

by Permanent Posies on July 21, 2011

I hired a good friend to come over and help me clean out two walk-in closets and my pantry.  Even though my closets are “walk-in”, I could not even step a foot into them.  And my pantry…..just “n” for nasty.  I had some pretty old canned goods.

Don’t you love to shed a few things from your closets?  A few things!  My friend’s car was completely full of my junk and we filled up 3 giant trash bags of my junk that wasn’t worth driving away in her car.  If she wasn’t such a great friend, I might have been embarrassed but if I haven’t run her off in 27 years……I don’t guess I’m not going to.

I forgot to take before photos of my closets but, I shot a few of the junk coming out of my pantry.  I will share them if you won’t judge!  I have never claimed to be organized.  I have claimed to be an artist.  I know that some people can be both…..but not most….haha.

BEFORE

EVERYTHING CAME OUT

P1080031 P1080030 P1080034

ALL FOOD (THAT WAS STILL EDIBLE), WENT BACK IN

P1080035 P1080036 P1080038 P1080040 P1080041 P1080039

I would have loved to have all cutesy and matching organizing baskets but….hey…..I will settle for organized and edible.

I am joining today with Alphabet Thursday and she is hosting blogs about things starting with the letter “N”.  “N” is for “not nasty any more”.

Jenny Matlock

Cindie Vaughan July 22, 2011 at 5:07 AM

Susan, you are a brave soul for sharing your pictures, but everyone has a problem spot somewhere. I invested a few years ago in the clear and white containers from IKEA that are 3 different sizes, stackable and sit next to each other perfectly.  I have had a “pretty clean” pantry ever since.  I use them to store open packages of pasta, crackers, rice, etc.  Made a huge difference for us.  The hard part for me is keeping it that way!  Congrats on your newly organized areas. I can’t wait to work with Beverly too!

Ames July 22, 2011 at 7:28 AM

Don’t feel bad, your pantry and my pantry could be twins. I try to keep some kind of order going on but when you live in a house with another person, and they don’t think about maintaining any kind of order, you are constantly fighting an uphill battle. My problem is a husband that is famous for doing the “man search.” If he doesn’t see something he is looking for he opens a new box, leaving me with several half full stale boxes of what ever. Do you think it would be rude to put a lock on a pantry door? Just thinkin’.  I applaud your efforts and your pantry now puts mine to shame. I guess I better do something about it. ~Ames

Andy July 23, 2011 at 2:47 AM

WoW! That was a lot of stuff. Either you’ve got some appetite or a lot of mouths to feed! ;-)
Definitely looks a lot neater in the after.

Thanks for sharing.

Yasmeen July 23, 2011 at 1:00 PM

Wow, that is quite a pantry you have there!!! We have a small inner-city apartment with a kitchen (and storage) to match. Maybe that’s a good thing… less room = less temptation! I admire your honesty and great work fixing it up.

Jenny Matlock July 24, 2011 at 10:35 PM

Wow.  I love your pantry.  If I had that much space I would have wayyy too much variety of food, too!

How fun to be able to take everything out and have help doing such a nifty makeover!

Hopefully you found some hidden chocolates in there to make it even more worthwhile.

Thanks for linking this fun post.

A+

Cheryl B. September 1, 2011 at 3:16 PM

Hi Susan ;-)   I haven’t been by in awhile, thought I browse through and see what ya been up to.

I APPLAUD you doing this type of a cleaning! Before becoming Ms. Vertigo, I use to do like wise with my fridge about every three months. The only problem, was how blingingly clean it would be afterwords. ;-p

I have found that sometimes organizing things in baskets, etc. can be good, other times, they waste too much space. I do have ones for similar items, like bags of brown sugar, powdered sugar, choc. chips all go in the same basket.

So-o my friend, did you make a list of the items that did qualify to be put back in there? ;->  Get some blue automotive tape and hang it on the wall between the door way and where the shelves start. Then when you use something up, you cross it off.

Curious, did you like those Town House Flip Sides Crackers?  I thought they needed to be a bit more pretzely.

Your friend drove away with a full car load… did she take all of it to her house, or to a mission type store?  :-p

Some of the recipes you have posted have set my tummy to rumbling… I’m signing off to go eat lunch, chuckle, chuckle…

Anonymous September 2, 2011 at 2:26 AM

Hey Cheryl….I do like the Flip Sides…only I like the herb flavored ones.

My friend takes the stuff and sells it. She has been sort of in between jobs and takes on any small job that comes along. She does a lot of garage sales to pay the bills.

She came again this week and we arranged furniture. She needs money and I need help. Good combo!

Thanks for reading.