Today is the anniversary of the first date I had with my husband 35 years ago. It seems like it was yesterday that he asked me out and I said, “No”. In fact, I said that 3 different times over the course of a semester of college. What can I say? I was a studious collegiate and wasn’t really in the mood to have a boyfriend.
So, semester #2 brought Golfer Pro back to one of my classes and I guess I decided it was fate. He WAS cute, after all. So, our first date was a study date. And we did “study”, along with watching the movie, Mash, on TV…..and, well, I fell in love that night and decided that this was who I wanted to marry. Really! I don’t think that was even a thought in his head but for me, I was completely swept off my feet that night.
Well, as I thought about writing a post using the letter “Q” for Alphabet Thursday, I wanted to write an ode to my husband. I decided to just write some of our favorite quotes…35 of them….one for each year. Most of them came from a television show or a movie. Some, just were said and just became part of our world at appropriate moments. You will have to just imagine at what moment we might say them and if you know us, you have heard us say these things at some point. Too bad we can’t come up with our own humor…haha.
1. “He broke into the wrong gawl darn wreck room.” (Said in the movie Tremors…..the PG version)
2. “He’s a bery bad man!” (Seinfeld)
3. “That John Denver is full of s—-.” (Dumb and Dumber)
4. “You see, the way it works is…….(fill in the blank)” (Jon Lovitz in League of Their Own)
5. “There is no crying in….(fill in the blank).” (Tom Hanks in League of Their Own)
5. “Houston, we have a problem.” (Apollo 13)
7. “You can’t handle the truth!” (Jack Nicholson in A Few Good Men)
8. “I’ve got your French Fry.” (Long story….)
9. “Wolfie’s fine dear!” (Arnold in Terminator 2)
10. “The best thing I can say about her is that all her tattoos are spelled correctly.” (Steel Magnolias)
11. “Don’t kill me Freaky Jason!” (Martin Lawrence in Nothing to Lose”)
12. “What? Seriously?” (Granddaughter #1 in a public restroom at age 3)
13. “Oh, sure. A magical little animal.” (Homer Simpson)
14. “Looks like the police have themselves an RV.” (Die Hard)
15. “It’s Christmas Theo….the time for miracles.” (Die Hard)
16. “There are rules!” (with a German accent from Die Hard)
17. “You can’t always get what you want. You can’t always get what you want. But if you try some time, you just might find, you get what you need.” (singing Rolling Stones)
18. “That’s very kind of you, Mr. Cowboy.” (Again, with a German accent from Die Hard)
19. “It’s Shake and Bake and I helped.” (commercial said with a hick accent)
20. “Buy a TV from our dad. He needs the business.” (from a commercial in Lubbock when we were in college…West Texas accent)
21. “Survivor Thursday!” (even though it is now on Wed., we still scream Survivor Thursday)
22. “Oh, yea. You blend.” (New Jersey accent…..My Cousin Vinny)
23. “These pretzels are making me thirsty.” (Seinfeld)
24. “Oh, I’m stressed!” (Again, Seinfeld)
25. “C’mon!!!!” (Arrested Development)
26. “It’s OK to love your dog but just don’t LOVE your dog.” (The Truth About Cats and Dogs)
27. “She can’t take much more, Cap’t.” (Star Trek)
28. “Your dead to me. More dead than your dead mother.” (Zoolander)
29. “I like big butts and I cannot lie.” (song)
30. “Go on back to camp. I’ve got nothing for you.” (Survivor—normally said to the dogs)
31. “I’m your huckleberry!” (Tombstone)
32. “Do you believe in the hereafter? Then you know what I’m hereafter.” (Laugh In)
33. “That’s all I’m going to say about that.” (in the voice of Forest Gump)
34. “I teach English for kids who don’t talk good.”
35. “Somewhere between the “A” and the “T”.
Well, I could go on all night but I will stop at 35 so I can join with Alphabet Thursday tonight. Happy Anniversary, Vida Mia!