L is for Laughing All the Way

by Permanent Posies on December 16, 2010

My grandson has discovered that he likes cooking and so his mom (my #2 daughter) has started including him in the cooking process.  Of course, this has to also include his little sister (Cat) because anything he does, she has to do as well.

Recently, she was preparing Chicken Marsala and was explaining the ingredients that were to be used.

Jewelry Vendor says, “These are the ingredients we are using today, Spiderman (Lion’s new Blog name).  Mushrooms, chicken, garlic, butter, salt and pepper….and a little cooking wine.”

Spiderman, “Mom, can I have a little drink of that cooking wine?”

Mom, “No Spidey.  That is for cooking.”

Spiderman, after thinking about which manipulation technique he should use says, “But Mom, Nina (that would be me) lets me drink cooking wine at her house all the time.”

Really? Why me?  Why not MiMi, his other grandmother?  She is far more indulgent than me.  I don’t even own cooking wine.  Don’t these grandkids know what a fine line we grandmas are walking on anyway?

So, Mom says, “Really?  Why don’t we call Nina and ask her about that?  She isn’t supposed to give you cooking wine.”

Spiderman, “NO!  Uh…I was just kidding, Mom.  It was a joke.” (I might add….a 4 year old joke)

Ok……well…..she and I laughed and laughed about that one.  He is going to so get her in trouble at school one day.

We went to my mom’s house last Sunday and right before Spiderman and his family were leaving to go home, Cat found something she wanted and my mom gave it to her.  Spiderman, of course, wanted something too and began picking up things asking if he could have them (at my suggestion).  None of the “junk” he picked up was something that my mom was willing to part with so, with a downcast face, he started towards the car.  My mom realizes the situation and grabs this round ceramic Santa Claus candle holder and hands it to him.   Spidey’s eyes lit up as if she had given him…..well….a Spiderman.

In the car, my daughter mentioned something about all the “junk” at my mom’s house (so I come by that honestly)…..to which Spiderman said that he was so happy to get some Santa Junk.

In the next few days, Spiderman didn’t let round ceramic Santa Junk leave his side.  He slept with Santa Junk and let all his action figures take turns sitting inside Santa Junk’s belly (the place belonging to a candle).  He phoned me and told me about his Santa Junk and asked me if I had any good Santa Junk.  Well, if he read my blog (Christmas Decorations Post), he would see that I too have lots of junk and particularly lots of Santa junk.  In fact, I told him, I had a good piece of Reindeer Junk.  To this, Spiderman said, “Perfect!”.

Today, I ate lunch with my four grandchildren and wanted to take my Reindeer Junk to Spiderman.  So, I decided I better find some “Junk” to take to all my grandchildren….teehee.  I found two Santas and a little Christmas tree that opened up to a Santa sitting on a chair.  I knew my other daughter would be so happy to receive some of my Santa Junk! ha

When I walked in the door, Spiderman’s eyes lit up and he said, “Nina, did you bring me some good junk?”  I said, “Did I!  I brought Reindeer Junk along with some Junk for the girls.”  So, I pulled out of my sack an 18 inch tall, metal, flying reindeer.  Expecting “perfect”…..I was surprised when my grandson squinted with his Popeye expression and just shook his head with revulsion and said, “What else do you have?”   So, my junk really IS junk!

Ok….well, maybe you had to be there but that kid cracks me up!

P1020635

It is Alphabet Thursday and I am laughing all the way for my “L” post…..a little late in delivery.

Jenny Matlock

Ames December 16, 2010 at 11:10 PM

Out of the mouth of babes! Enjoy them while they are little., before they grow up and the stuff that comes out of their mouth embarasses you. :) Merry Christmas!~Ames

jo December 17, 2010 at 10:32 AM

Spidey is pretty cool looking … and it’s true … kids do say the darndest things …

Judie December 17, 2010 at 2:19 PM

My grandson, Dave, always loved my Christmas junk! Great post!!

Alison December 17, 2010 at 3:58 PM

Oh my goodness, he is just full of personality! It sounds like you will have plenty of “Laughing” stories for years to come. Thanks for sharing this fabulous “L” post.

Paige December 17, 2010 at 5:57 PM

That’s cute! I’m sure my mother will love to give her grandchildren Santa Junk, as soon as I have some kids. :)

Maggie Mallard December 19, 2010 at 10:14 AM

How cute is this post! Being a grandma of two I can relate very well especially what you said about grandma’s on a fine line already. hahaha….It’s like I have walk on egg shells not good.
Hope your having a great weekend.
I have got to get really busy today but wanted to wish you a Merry Christmas
Love
Maggie

H December 19, 2010 at 10:51 AM

As they say, one person’s junk is another person’s treasure!

I remember groaning at all of the ‘treasure’ my boys used to bring home from the school summer and Christmas fairs! It was quite a relief when they got too old to be bothered going.

Maria@PersonalizedSketches December 19, 2010 at 9:49 PM

Ah! Too cute and funny! I love what little ones come with…ya just never know! :o ) Can’t wait til we are grandparents and have some of that candid, with no inhibition to “what-pops-in-their-heads-and-out-of-their-mouths-kinda” conversations :o )

Blessings & Aloha!
Trying to get to some more L posts! Hope you get a chance to pop over to mine :o )

Jenny Matlock December 24, 2010 at 4:19 PM

What a totally sweet link this week.

I have to apologize for getting here so late. Somehow my days got away from me. My husband wants to go delivery cookies to the neighbors but I told him I have to visit visiting L links so you guys don’t think I’m a total jerk – ha!

Your son sounds really wonderful. Treasure every moment. They go so fast.

Thank you for linking.

Sending you holiday wishes of joy and peace for you and your loved ones along with an…

A+

Chari October 31, 2011 at 4:49 PM

Hello…

Awww…what a cute and adorable post, my friend!  Don’t you just love grandkids?  Hehe!  A similar story could have taken happened here at my place!  I have 8 grandsons and 2 granddaughters!  They love Grandma’s junk too!  Ohhh boy, I would have loved that big ol’ flying reindeer!  Tell Spiderman that I would love it!

Well dear lady, thanks so much for joining in with the fun of Sunday Favorites!  It was such a pleasure having you…I sooo enjoyed your sweet post!

Warmest wishes,