Pin It Follow Me on Pinterest

Hunting, House Fires and Heroes

by Permanent Posies on November 10, 2010

Last weekend, my husband was invited to go hunting with some of his friends.  He spent a very cold night in a sleeping bag in the bed of his pickup (why do men do this?). 

The next day, they were driving over to his friend’s cousins land and they noticed a column of smoke coming from the general direction of the cousin’s house.  As they got closer, they realized that the house was engulfed in flames and it was flanked by two other houses, not yet on fire but about to be.

fire photo1

They pulled up and quickly grabbed the two water hoses.  The great aunt’s house was already completely on fire but the other two houses were getting so hot that the paint was beginning to burst into flames, so they aimed the water at these, putting out all the fires that began to pop up all along the house.  One of the guys went in a picked up a two litter bottle of Dr. Pepper, shook it up and put out the fire on one of the porch posts. (Who knew it would be so effective?)

My husband said that the house on fire had 100’s of rounds of ammo that began to explode in the fire.  It sounded like tons of firecrackers popping and he was wondering why he saw no bullets exploding all around him.  Turns out, without the gun to give it projection, bullets just explode.  But, it was somewhat disconcerting at the time to hear what sounded like massive gunfire.  Also, he realized that the BBQ grill with a propane tank under it was engulfed in flames. 

There was no time to worry about these things because they had to save the other two houses and they had very weak water pressure.  Just at the time that they ran out of pressure all together, the volunteer fire department pulled up and began to fight the flames.  They quickly ran out of water themselves but were fortunately followed closely by the fire trucks from two other cities.  Since they lived out in the country, they were dependent on these trucks to bring water from the surrounding cities.  Eventually, they were able to get things under control, though the cousin’s house was burned to the ground.  The other two houses had a lot of little burned areas and smoke damage but they were saved.

fire photo 2 photo 3

There is no doubt that had my husband and his friends not acted quickly and bravely, the other two houses would have been destroyed as well.  They fought through the blistering heat, the random flames and the choking smoke and did what had to be done.  My husband’s face was burned like a sunburn and he had some smoke inhalation issues that night….but his adrenaline was pumping.  They were heroes.

So, since this week at Alphabet Thursday the letter to write about is the letter “H”, I am writing this post as a tribute to heroes and house fires.  Check out more “H” posts on Alphabet Thursday.

Jenny Matlock

{ 13 comments… read them below or add one }

jackie November 10, 2010 at 9:28 PM

Holy smokes! That’s terrible for your cousins to be without a home though. Homeless is what they are I gather.

Gina November 10, 2010 at 9:45 PM

Wow! That is crazy! I’m glad they were able to help, to lose your home in a house fire is terrible. I lost my father in a house fire when I was only 9 and my 7 year old brother was severely burned so I sincerely feel for anyone in that situation.

Ames November 10, 2010 at 9:51 PM

That was a very brave thing to do. So glad they did not get hurt and only received minor injuries from the fire fighting efforts. What started the fire? Was anyone hurt?~Ames

Anne November 10, 2010 at 10:04 PM

My goodness, I am so glad they were not injuried. What a story to tell. I am glad they were smart and quick thinking! Thank you for sharing such a story with us today. Anne

Write Chick November 11, 2010 at 12:45 AM

Wow. That is exciting and scary. I’ve never understood men wanting to go sleep in the freezing cold and hike miles in the snow to kill an animal either. However, it’s lucky your husband went this time. What an exciting post!

Coffeedoff November 11, 2010 at 5:08 AM

Wow they were brave! shame about the burned down house, but good job the others were saved.

tracy November 11, 2010 at 5:53 AM

Oh my word = I am so glad no one was injured. What an incredible story.
Tracy

JDaniel4's Mom November 11, 2010 at 7:38 AM

I am glad they were there. It sounds like a horrible fire.

Pondside November 11, 2010 at 10:43 AM

What a nightmare! Thank heavens for volunteer firefighters and quick thinking friends!

claire November 11, 2010 at 11:07 AM

I am so sorry! I am glad everyone is okay!

H November 12, 2010 at 4:34 PM

How incredibly brave to tackle the fire, especially with all of the ammo and that tank of propane. Those things make a very big bang when they blow. Glad everyone is alright, but so sorry for the cousin who lost everything.

Jenny Matlock November 12, 2010 at 6:43 PM

Oh heavens! What an incredible link to Alphabe-Thursday.

The way you wrote this just drew me in. I felt I was right there witnessing the whole event…how brave they were…how frightened you must have been when they told you the story.

I’m so sorry for the cousin that lost everything. That must be incredibly devastating.

Thanks for this dramatic stop.

I enjoyed my visit here today…tell your husband I applaud his bravery.

A+

Judie November 13, 2010 at 9:06 AM

What a story! Your husband is a true hero.

Leave a Comment

Previous post:

Next post:

 EmailMeSubscribeFacebookTwitterTexas Blogging GalsPhotobucketPhotobucket

Get a playlist! Standalone player Get Ringtones