Fall Centerpiece—The Etude

by Permanent Posies on October 20, 2010

I completely missed Alphabet Thursday last week and I have to say that I missed the girls over there.  I didn’t post and I didn’t read any posts.  So, I have some catching up to do this week when I peruse their posts on the letters D and E.  This week we are using the the letter E in our posts and I am writing about an old musical magazine, The Etude.

Well, technically, I am cutting up an old Etude magazine to make a fall centerpiece.  I hope this doesn’t offend anyone’s sense of preserving history but it has been sitting in a box in the closet for many, many years so I am just bringing it out and making a few of the pages visible.  I am actually framing the covers too so……

P1020713

This is not an original idea but one that I read about in the October issue of Martha Stewart Living.  It was called the UPS Store Wreath.  I re-purposed the wreath idea into a centerpiece so, I hope you like it.

First, in case you have never heard of The Etude Magazine, I thought I would give you a little history.  I have two of them and I am assuming that my mom’s had a subscription because I found them among my mom’s piano lesson music sheets.  One is a 1934 issue and the other, a 1938 issue.

P1020687 P1020686

The Etude was a magazine that was first published in October, 1883 and was published until 1957.  It highlighted “all things musical” from sheet music, history, literature, gossip and politics.  It contained a write-in column and editorials and was quite popular during its historical publication.

Thought I would photograph some of the sheets of music I found too.  Isn’t Shirley Temple adorable?

P1020694 P1020691 P1020690

Anyway, back to the Fall Centerpiece….here is the photo of the original wreath that I got out of Martha Stewart Living.

Paper-Leaf Wreath P1020723

Well, I made my own leaf templates before realizing that if I went to her website, I could print one.  So, I had 3 different size templates when I combined them.  I thought mine looked pretty good…..and I bet you can’t even tell which one came from the magazine…teehee.

P1020700

I cut out about 12 each of the two larger leaves and 8 of the smaller and thought I was all set to go.

P1020698

Then I read the directions.  Ok….that might have been good to do first because I did not have all the wires etc that she used.  But no worries.  I had already decided to make it a centerpiece and so, I decided to “make it work”. (Project Runway reference)

First, I cut out a circle out of cardboard.  I wanted it to fit over a silver tray I have so that I could pick it up easily and move it when we were eating at the table…..which is rare.  (We are bar eaters most of the time)

P1020697 P1020704

Than I began laying out the bigger leaves.

P1020705

I glued them on.

P1020709

Then I laid out all the rest of the leaves, making sure they were evenly spaced.  Also, one of the sheets said “The Etude”, which I didn’t realize until I cut them out because I cut several pages together at once.  I wanted to make sure that was showing in the end.

P1020708 P1020711

When I was cleaning the garage, I came upon a box of pine cones that I picked up one year in Colorado.  See why I don’t throw things out?  I just set them around the base of the vase/brass pitcher, which might prove to be a hassle when moving it, but I liked the way it looked.  The pitcher is an antique that belonged to my uncle.  Now all I need are some fall flowers.

P1020714 P1020715 P1020717

Hope you like it.  Check out other posts at Alphabet Thursday.

Jenny MatlockFunky Junk's Saturday Nite SpecialIhookedupwithHoHlamespice

Also following the following link:

Candy@The Little Round Table October 20, 2010 at 4:04 PM

Great post, happy “E” Day!

Beverly Hoskins Koenig October 20, 2010 at 4:04 PM

How cute!! You are sooo creative my dear friend. Look forward to seeing you next week:)

Shannon Olson October 20, 2010 at 4:09 PM

looks like a very interesting magazine, I have never heard of it. Lovely paper wreath too!

Sue October 20, 2010 at 4:20 PM

How clever and resourceful you are! The wreath you made is just lovely and I like the way you used special pieces you’ve saved. I enjoyed the Etude History and pictures. Thanks for the tutorial and the Martha Stewart website….It’s all ‘A Good Thing’!

Jenny Matlock October 20, 2010 at 4:46 PM

This is beautiful. I love when people repurpose something into a new lovely object. I’ve made a similar wreath and put a watercolor wash on the leaves and it was pretty like that, too.

This was a great explanation.

Martha doesn’t have anything on you.

Thanks for the beautiful link to Alphabe-Thursday’s letter “E”.

A+

Mary October 20, 2010 at 4:59 PM

Love the idea of bringing your pages out to enjoy! Great repurposing of your pitcher & pinecones too~ fun centerpiece :-)

Cheryl October 20, 2010 at 5:17 PM

I can’t seem to get the palpitations to stop. You cut up magazines from 1934 and 1938? I’m a little shocky. Holy cow, woman! That’s herstory you’ve just cut into tiny bits. Other than that, I love it.

Going to go lie down now. I’m having vapors.

victoria October 20, 2010 at 6:31 PM

that’s a gorgeous wreath…
cringing about the magazine cut up…
i’m also having vapors :D

JDaniel4's Mom October 20, 2010 at 6:58 PM

What a beautiful wreath. I love the leaf pattern you chose.

Ames October 20, 2010 at 7:07 PM

That looks easy enough. Thanks for sharing this!~Ames

Anne-Marie October 20, 2010 at 8:38 PM

Very creative! Here in Canada we are always cutting maple leaves but I love the shape of your leaves. I love recycling old pictures and pages. This is a nice tribute to your mom. Thanks for sharing.

Anne-Marie

Amanda @ House Revivals October 20, 2010 at 11:16 PM

What a great idea! I love that you took and idea adapted to create something different. Don’t feel too bad about cutting up the magazine — I have a lovely old botany book destined for some art projects!

jo October 20, 2010 at 11:32 PM

what a cool wreath! and so simple! I love that you repurposed the vintage magazine, very very cool!

EG Wow, Canada October 21, 2010 at 6:44 AM

What a clever idea! Thank you for sharing it!

Francisca October 21, 2010 at 7:44 AM

You’ve made a very Elegant centerpiece using a vintage Etude magazine. But I must admit my heart skipped a beat when you mentioned the magazine would have been published some time between 1883 and 1957! That’s an antique! happy E day!

Rocky Mountain Woman October 21, 2010 at 10:42 AM

What a beautiful wreath!

My mother loved Shirley Temple. She had a scrapbook full of pictures of her. She also played the piano. Thanks for such a sweet memory!

H October 21, 2010 at 1:54 PM

I do like it! I often make Christmas wreaths with the children at school. We use the outside edge of a paper plate as our base. It works quite well. Your leaf templates are great. I can’t tell which are yours and which was downloaded.

Sue October 21, 2010 at 2:17 PM

I’d love to look at some of those old magazines. They look pretty neat!

=)

Cheryl D. October 21, 2010 at 3:46 PM

What a cool looking magazine!

Anne October 21, 2010 at 10:09 PM

Those magazines are terrific and the looks of the wreath is amazingly pretty. Thank you for sharing and please stop by my blog soon. Anne

Yanet October 22, 2010 at 1:42 AM

Good idea to do it with book pages. It gives it more character that way. Good job.

Pondside October 23, 2010 at 11:32 PM

What a lovely idea!

Crystal & Co October 25, 2010 at 7:09 AM

love this! love the shabby chicness about it! the nostalgic feel. oh, i miss decorating…. my kids break everything!