B is for Big Lots

by Permanent Posies on September 29, 2010

Alphabet Thursday blog time and this week, it is the letter B.

So, I have discovered shopping at Big Lots.  It isn’t that I haven’t been in there before but I have only been there a couple of times.  But last week, I became a Big Lots fan.

Did you know you can negotiate prices in Big Lots?  You probably can’t do that on a can of soup or a bag of candy but on the higher dollar items, they will negotiate.  REally?  I went in for a poster board several days ago, which by the way, they don’t carry and I walked out with a gas grill.  I would say that was some kind of an impulse buy.  It was huge.  Mine is broken.  It was at a ridiculously low price….on accident….which they said they would honor (I didn’t even have to ask for that).  Sold!

But, I also bought a lamp for $15 to put by my husband’s side of the bed.  Ok…that was a good price and it was cute.  This was to replace something that feels like a spot light that he has now.  I am too old for a spot light blaring in my face (and other parts of the body).  It shows way too many wrinkles.  That was my justification for that purchase.

P1020375

Well, the lace on top and the added crystals….my addition to a white shade.

So, a couple of days ago, I went back for another lamp for my side of the bed….cause that would be really cute right?

I do two things when I am in a really terrible mood.  I eat and I shop.  Ok….well, I know I should pray instead….but let’s get real here.  That doesn’t always happen first when anger flares it’s ugly head.   Did I mention I was in a terrible mood that day?  Well, I also like to wash dishes when I am mad but….they were clean.  Oh well!

So, I saw this really cute end table, which I wanted needed for beside my bed (to go along with my new $15 floor lamp).  I knew what I wanted to put there but I really wasn’t planning on buying it in a store.  I planned to find one at a garage sale or something.

And there it was….all perfect….right color…..a drawer…cabinet with shelf.  There I was in a bad mood and all.  And I decided that I needed wanted it but I wanted it for $25 less.  So, I called the guy over and told him that I wanted to know how much he could mark off the price of that table.  He went and called a manager and came back and said that he couldn’t mark it down.  I said, “I’ll take it.”  Wait….that didn’t go right.

So, a lady walked up to buy another piece of furniture and asked for a new one in the box.  All they had was the floor model.  She wanted a discount and the clerk called over a manager.  I said, “Hey!  Mine is the floor model too and I want a discount.”  Manager came over and we both talked her into selling our chosen pieces at the price we wanted to pay.  I just offered her an amount and she took it.  Oh yea!  That is what I am talking about.

P1020373

I think it is time to pray and I hope I am not in a bad mood again any time soon!  Out of money!

So, check out the other bloggers on Alphabet Thursday.

Jenny Matlock

Mumsy September 29, 2010 at 7:43 PM

Oh how about that? I would love that end table too, and I’m glad to know that Big Lots negotiate. I have only been in there once!

jo September 29, 2010 at 7:47 PM

there are no Big Lots on my side of the 49th, but next time a take a trip across the line i will look for one! thanks for the tip!

Brenda September 29, 2010 at 8:18 PM

There are Big Lots in both of the cities I shop at but I usually do not get time to stop in. That is really a pretty bedside table.

Genie Robinson September 29, 2010 at 8:32 PM

I loved your Big Lots post. The closest one to us is 45 miles so I have never been….but now you have me rethinking that one. I cannot believe that you could negotiate the prices of the larger items…that is really neat. You did well.

Genie @ buttonsforbaga

Mary September 29, 2010 at 8:50 PM

What great buys! I had no idea you could negotiate at Big Lots! Enjoy your table :-)

jfb57 September 30, 2010 at 3:18 AM

We don;’t have Big Lots here in the UK but something similar. I love the crossing out of needed/ wanted!!

Lola September 30, 2010 at 3:39 AM

Don’t have it either here in Spain *sigh*! Love this ‘B’ post!

Have a great weekend,

LOLA:)

btw My quick Alphabe-Thursday link is here

PJ September 30, 2010 at 6:46 AM

This made me laugh out loud! We had a Big Lots here for years, but the roof caved in with a large snowfall this past winter and they never reopened. The void is terrible!

JDaniel4's Mom September 30, 2010 at 7:57 AM

I didn’t know you could do that. You found great deals. I love what you got.

Rocky Mountain Woman September 30, 2010 at 9:44 AM

Great finds! I need you to help me find some cute little things like that for my house….

Jenny Matlock September 30, 2010 at 6:17 PM

I love Big Lots and I had no idea you could do that! Good to know…although I suspect my husband would not agree with my statement – ha!

This was a fun post.

At least when you get in a bad mood it pays off. I just get in a bad mood and everybody hides from me!

Thanks for linking this week. This was a fun stop.

A+

Keri September 30, 2010 at 7:12 PM

Negotiate at Big Lots?! I’ve got to go shopping! I don’t go there much, but every now and then I will.

I also wash dishes when I’m mad. How funny.

Sue Anderson September 30, 2010 at 8:36 PM

You got some pretty great stuff! I think I need to see if we have a Big Lots near us…

=)

Cheryl September 30, 2010 at 9:31 PM

You drive a tough bargain when you’re angry. Remind me to stay out of your way the next time the beast rears its ugly head.

Joni September 30, 2010 at 9:33 PM

I sure didn’t know you could do that. Your post is funny. Joni

Ames October 1, 2010 at 12:05 AM

I love Big Lot’s. I drive 15 miles to get to my nearest Big Lot’s and I have found all kinds of great deals there. Their seasonal decor items are to die for!~Ames

Splendid Little Stars October 1, 2010 at 12:17 AM

There is a Big Lots near me, and I do shop there! Sometimes, you can find wonderful things. I joined the club or whatever they call it, and after a bunch of $20 purchases, I get 20% off an entire order. Now I don’t know how long that will take me, but someday…

sue October 1, 2010 at 6:40 AM

Don’t Mess With Texas Women! I guess they know must know that at Big Lots! I’ll wear my T-shirt that has that slogan on it next time I go for some bigger bargins. Fun post! Thanks for visiting CollectInTexas Gal. Hope to see you again…Sue

stef October 1, 2010 at 11:05 PM

Huh….Big Lots. Gonna take a look!

Gattina October 2, 2010 at 1:39 AM

Fortunately you are sometimes in a bad mood, otherwise your house would look completely naked ! Good bargains ! When I am in a bad mood, I would never wash dishes, or eat (I can’t eat when I am in a bad mood) and praying is not my style. I just jump in my car, and drive and drive and when there is something nice I take photos, I don’t know where I am, but when I think it’s enough I push the button “Go Home” on my GPS. When somebody asks me where have you been I can answer honnestly “I don’t know”!

B October 2, 2010 at 8:30 AM

Those are great finds!
Good thing you insisted on the price for the display item you bought.
=)

Am planning to go to Ikea next week to buy stuffs for my room.
I wish we have bargain stores like that here.

By the way, can I call you mum if it’s fine with you?

Luv,
B

Pondside October 2, 2010 at 1:06 PM

I love your cure for a bad mood!…and the results of the cure are pretty good too!

Terra October 3, 2010 at 2:08 PM

oh you done good, bad mood and all.

melinda cornish October 5, 2010 at 7:34 PM

I like big lots too! they have a lot of cute inexpensive decor stuff and I like a bargain!